Skip to main content
Argonne National Laboratory

Site Entry Requirements

Identification credentials are required to access the Laboratory

Physical access to Argonne National Laboratory by members of the public is prohibited unless they are visitors hosted by a U.S. Department of Energy employee, an Argonne employee or those site affiliates who have a formal relationship with the Laboratory.

All visitors and users must be pre-authorized by a host and issued a visitor gate pass or user badge prior to entry.

COVID-19 Health and Safety Protocols for Visitors

All individuals must:

  • Sign a form attesting to their COVID-19 vaccination status. (Visitors may sign the form when they arrive or download the form, sign it, and bring it with them.)
    • A visitor who attests they are fully vaccinated will receive a gate pass valid for their approved visit duration.
    • A visitor who attests they are NOT fully vaccinated or declines to respond must present results of a negative COVID-19 test less than 72 hours old before being issued a gate pass. The gate pass will be valid for up to three days, based on the date of the test result and their approved visit duration.

If a visitor’s approved visit duration exceeds the expiration date on the gate pass, the visitor will need to take another COVID-19 test and provide proof of a negative result at the Argonne Information Center to renew the gate pass. Argonne will accept printed test results from either a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test or a rapid antigen test performed by a health care provider no more than 72 hours prior to entry. Results from at-home testing kits do not meet Argonne standards. COVID-19 testing for visitors is not available on site.

  • Follow all safety protocols posted by the lab, including guidance on face coverings and social distancing.
  • Respect capacity limits in meeting rooms and other public areas.

If you become ill while on site, stay away from others and immediately call the COVID-19 Question Line. The phone number will be provided to you on a lanyard card when you receive your gate pass. If you become short of breath, call 911 immediately.

Argonne has invited its employees to join in a commitment to take care of themselves and others by following simple health guidelines to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Visitors are also encouraged to read and commit to the Argonne Health Pact.

Acceptable Forms of Photo Identification

All visitors 16 years of age or older must present a valid form of photo identification. Failure to provide valid site access credentials or valid photo identification will result in denial of access.

For U.S. Citizens

U.S. citizens can become pre-authorized by contacting a designated Laboratory host to obtain a visitor gate pass. Visitors are encouraged to register through Argonne’s Visitor Registration System. A link to the system will be sent to the visitor by the designated Laboratory host.

The following is a list of acceptable forms of photo identification, which must be valid.

  • Driver’s license/state identification card
  • U.S. passport or passport card
  • Foreign government issued passport
  • HSPD-12 PIV card
  • Permanent resident card
  • School- or university-issued ID if under the age of 18

Other acceptable IDs include:

  • DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
  • U.S. Department of Defense ID, including IDs issued to dependents
  • Border crossing card
  • State-issued enhanced driver’s license (Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont, Washington)
  • Federally recognized, tribal-issued photo ID
  • Canadian provincial driver’s license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada card
  • Transportation worker identification credential
  • U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
  • U.S. Merchant Mariner Credential

If an individual does not possess one of the above-mentioned identifications, they may present one document from List B and one document from List C of the USCIS Form I-9 as detailed below.




Non-compliant State Issued ID/DL

Birth Certificate

Voter’s Registration Card

Certification of Report of Birth

US Military Card

US Citizen ID Card (I-197)

School or University ID (if over 18)

ID- Resident Citizen (I-179)


DHS Employment Authorization


Social Security Card

For more information on site access for U.S. citizens, contact the Argonne Information Center at (630) 252-5755 or your Laboratory host.

For Non-U.S. Citizens (Foreign Nationals)

All non-U.S. citizens (foreign nationals) are required to obtain approval through the Foreign Visits and Assignments (FV&A) Office by first registering in Argonne’s Visitor Registration system. A link to the page will be sent to the foreign national by the designated Laboratory host. All foreign nationals must be approved for a visit before they can be issued a visitor gate pass. Depending upon the country of birth and citizenship, approval could take seven (7) business days or longer for processing.

For more information on site access for foreign nationals, contact the FV&A Office at (630) 252-1142 or your Laboratory host.

After approval from the FV&A)\ Office and upon arrival at Argonne, foreign nationals must bring their valid original passport and applicable visa with any U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services documentation supporting the visa status and/or renewal. These documents include:

  • F-1: passport, visa, and I-20
  • J-1: passport, visa, and DS2019
  • B-1: passport, visa, and I-94
  • H-1: passport, visa and I-94, or passport, I-797, and I-94
  • EAD card (OPT status): passport, EAD card, and I-20 (include third page of I-20)

Note: Foreign nationals with the following visa classifications are NOT eligible to hold either an Argonne appointment or conduct hands-on work at an Argonne user facility: WT, B-2, J-2, F-2, and H-4.

Canadian Citizens

Canadian citizens must present a valid passport, enhanced driver’s license, or Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS or FAST). Canadian citizens residing in British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, and Quebec may obtain enhanced driver’s licenses.

Mexican Citizens

Mexican citizens are required to present a passport with a visa or a border crossing card. A SENTRI Traveler Program card is also acceptable.

Bermudian Citizens

Bermudian citizens are required to present a valid passport.

For Minors

A minor is any individual who is under the age of eighteen (18) years as of their visit to the Laboratory. Minors under sixteen (16) years of age are not required to obtain a visitor gate pass. Argonne supports the inclusion of minors in educational opportunities, and certain minors may visit the Laboratory for purposes such as a personal visit; tours hosted by divisions, directorates, or user facilities; educational/outreach visit; or a research-focused visit or a user facility/partnership visit. For more information on the Laboratory’s minor policy, contact your designated Laboratory host.

For Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S.

Upon arrival at Argonne, legal permanent residents of the U.S. must bring their LPR Card (“green card”) and a government-issued identification document that includes a photograph, such as a driver’s license. If the LPR Card is pending, a valid passport and work authorization extension (EAD card, I-20, DS-2019, I-797) must be provided with an I-485 or I-551 stamp.

For Visa Waiver Program Participants

Visa Waiver Program (VWP) participants must present their valid original passport with a valid I-94 stamp.

Effective January 9, 2009, foreign travelers coming into the United State under the VWP must pre-authorize” themselves online through the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA). It is recommended that you log into ESTA as far in advance of your travel as possible, but not less than 72 hours before departure.

For Persons with a Change in Citizenship

If you have become a U.S. citizen, you will need to present an original and valid U.S. passport, U.S. passport card, or U.S. Certificate of Naturalization paper when you arrive at Argonne. Notify the FV&A Office  in advance of your arrival.

*The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative establishes document requirements for travel by land or sea into the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. Secure Electronic Network for Travelers Rapid Inspection (SENTRI) cards are for entry into the United States from Mexico, and NEXUS cards are for entry into the United States from Canada. Free and Secure Trade (FAST) cards are available to commercial drivers crossing both the northern and southern borders into the United States.

Arriving via Rideshare

(limo, taxi, Uber, Lyft, etc.)

Note: Rideshare drivers are not subject to the COVID-19 Protocols listed above.

Business hours: Monday – Friday 6:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

Visitors arriving to the Laboratory via a rideshare service during business hours should enter the Argonne Information Center with their driver to obtain a visitor gate pass for the driver. The driver will then be able to proceed through the security gate and bring the visitor to their final destination point on site.

Visitors checking in to the Argonne Guest House can request a shuttle from the Argonne Information Center to the Guest House between the hours of 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Monday – Friday.

Off hours: Monday – Friday 5:00 p.m. – 6:30 a.m., weekends and holidays

Visitors arriving to the Laboratory via a rideshare service during off hours must proceed directly to the security post on North Gate Road to obtain a gate pass for their driver. Upon issuance, the driver can then transport their visitor onsite.

Visitors using Uber or Lyft

If you are using Uber or Lyft and will be staying at the Argonne Guest House, choose Argonne Guest House” for your destination within the Uber or Lyft application.

While You Are Here

Gate Pass and badge Identification

  • All individuals while on Laboratory property are required to wear their gate pass or badge conspicuously, photo side out, in a location above the waist and on the front of the body.
  • Keep the gate pass or badge in good condition and have it replaced if it is damaged or there is a change in your legal name or appearance.
  • Protect the gate pass or badge against loss, theft, or misuse.
  • Report lost or stolen gate passes or badges immediately to the Argonne Protective Force at (630) 252-5730.
  • Gate passes or badges should not be altered, photocopied, counterfeited, reproduced, photographed, or posted on the internet.
  • When not on U.S. Department of Energy-owned or leased property, gate passes/badges should be removed or obscured from visual access.

Prohibited Articles

All individuals entering Laboratory property are subject to  search. Signs posted at all Laboratory entrances delineate prohibited articles that cannot be introduced to the site (e.g., firearms, dangerous weapons, destructive devices, explosives/incendiary devices, radioactive sources, open containers of alcoholic beverages, drugs, and pets or other animals).

Rules of the Road

All individuals operating a motor vehicle onsite must adhere to all Illinois Rules of the Road. Helmets are required for all motorcycle and bicycle traffic.