Various micro-reactors are under development in the United States based on highly innovative gas-cooled or heat-pipe concepts. Argonne is working with the U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Nuclear Energy (DOE-NE) and industrial partners on micro-reactor design, analyses and modeling. Under the DOE-NE Nuclear Energy Advanced Modeling and Simulation (NEAMS) program, Argonne is working on addressing the challenges and gaps in terms of modeling and simulation for micro-reactors. High-fidelity multi-physics simulations were demonstrated on heat-pipe micro-reactor concepts by coupling neutronics (Griffin), thermo-mechanical (Bison) and heat conduction in the heat-pipe (Sockeye). Argonne is leading the design of the MiFi-DC system with a highly innovative core design optimized for Truck charging stations. Argonne is also investigating a self-regulating micro reactor (MMR) relying on the molten metal fuel expansion for control. Finally, Argonne is supporting the design of the Holos-Quad concept under collaboration with HolosGen LLC with support from an ARPA-E MEITNER award and a GAIN-NE Voucher. This project involves detailed neutronic and shielding analyses performed using high-fidelity codes, and developing innovative material solutions to enhance the core performance.
- Nicolas E. Stauff, Kun Mo, Yan Cao, Justin W. Thomas, Yinbin Miao, Changho Lee, Christopher Matthews, Bo Feng, “Preliminary Applications of NEAMS Codes for Multiphysics Modeling of a Heat Pipe Microreactor,” proceedings of ANS Annual 2021 meeting, June 2021.
- Nicolas E. Stauff, Yinbin Miao, S. Bhattacharya, Abdellatif Yacout, Taek K. Kim “Advanced Micro-Reactor Concept Enabled by Innovative Technology,” proceedings of ANS Annual 2021 meeting, June 2021.
- Derek Kultgen, Darius Lisowski, Nicolas E. Stauff, Matthew Bucknor, “Micro-Reactor and Energy Storage Coupled Truck Charging Terminal,” proceedings of ANS Winter Meeting, November 2020.
- Nicolas E. Stauff, Kun Mo, Changho Lee, Zhi-Gang Mei, Yeon Sang Jung, Topher Matthews, Bo Feng, “Multi-Physics Simulations of Heat-Pipe TRISO-Fueled Micro-Reactor,” proceedings of ANS Winter Meeting, November 2020.
- T. Fei, M. Kun, Y. Miao, C. Forsyth, X. Wang, T. Kim, “Feasibility Investigation of Self-Controlled Reactor Using Stationary Liquid Fuel,” proceedings of ANS Winter Meeting, Vol. 123, November 2020, Pagea 1386-1392.
- Nicolas E. Stauff, Yinbin Miao, Derek Kutgen, “Micro-Reactor Design for Truck Charging Station,” proceedings of ANS Winter Meeting, November 2020.
- Nicolas E. Stauff, Changho Lee, Ling Zou, Claudio Filippone, “Core Design of the Holos-Quad Micro Reactor,” proceedings of ANS Winter Meeting, November 2020.
- Nicolas E. Stauff, C. H. Lee, A. Wells, C. Filippone, “Design Optimization of the Holos-Quad Micro-Reactor Concept,” proceedings of PHYSOR, March 29 - April 2, 2020.
- Nicolas E. Stauff, P. Shriwise, C. H. Lee, A. Wells, C. Filippone, “Neutronic Benchmark on Holos-Quad Micro-Reactor Concept,” proceedings of PHYSOR, March 29 - April 2, 2020.
- N. Stauff, C. Lee, P. Shriwise, Y. Miao, R. Hu, P. Vegendla, T. Fei, “Neutronic Design and Analysis of the Holos-Quad Concept,” ANL/NSE-19/8, 2019.