Dr. Nicolas E. Stauff joined Argonne National Laboratory in 2012 and currently serves as the Manager of the Nuclear Applications and Economics Group in the Nuclear Science and Engineering division. His work as Manager of the Nuclear Applications and Economics group supports the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Nuclear Energy (DOE-NE), Advanced Research Projects Agency—Energy (ARPA-E), and the nuclear industry. His work contributes to the fields of reactor physics, fuel cycle analyses, and economics assessment for advanced nuclear reactors.
Dr. Stauff heads the development of a user interface for Argonne’s advanced reactors analysis codes within the Nuclear Energy Advanced Modeling and Simulation (NEAMS) program. He also heads the development of the user assessment of the NEAMS codes’ capability to perform high-fidelity multi-physics simulations on micro-reactors. He also leads some nuclear market economics research for the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) System Analysis and Integration Campaign. Finally, he contributes to the development of advanced reactor designs in collaboration with industry (HolosGen, ARC LLC, Westinghouse, etc.).
Dr. Stauff is a current participant in Argonne’s Launchpad Program, designed to provide motivated early- and mid-career researchers with enhanced training and mentoring for developing multimillion-dollar sponsored research programs. As part of the Launchpad Program, his team is working to enable the next generation of nuclear microreactors through material innovations.
- Ph.D. in Nuclear Engineering — Paris XI University, France, 2011
- M.S. in Nuclear Engineering — National Institute for Nuclear Science and Technology (INSTN) School of the French Atomic Energy Commission (CEA), France, 2009
- B.S. and M.S. in Electrical Engineering — Supélec, France, 2008
- Researched designing advanced fast neutron reactors with carbide fuel at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), 2008
- Researched designing advanced fast neutron reactors with carbide fuel at the French Atomic Energy Commission (CEA), 2011
- Cohort 6 Selectee of Argonne’s Launchpad Program, 2021
- DOE-NE Fuel Cycle Research and Development Excellence Award, November 2017
- American Nuclear Society (ANS) Young Members Excellence Award, November 2015
- Ponciroli, R.; Shriwise, P.; Mei, Z.-G.; Stauff, N.; Petersen, A.; Romano, P. “Simulation-based Methodology to Assess the Lattice Defects Creation as Energy Storing Mechanism.” Annals of Nuclear Energy, January 2022, 165, 108691. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anucene.2021.108691
- Ponciroli, R.; Stauff, N.; Mei, Z.-G.; Shriwise, P.; Brockmeyer, L.; Cao, Y.; Feng, B.; Romano, P. “Integration of a Wigner Effect-based Energy Storage System with an Advanced Nuclear Reactor.” Nuclear Engineering and Design, 2021, 385, 111521. ISSN 0029-5493. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2021.111521
- Rivas, A.; Stauff, N.; Sumner, T.; Hou, J. “Propagating Neutronic Uncertainties for FFTF LOFWOS Test #13.” Nuclear Engineering and Design, 2021, 375, 111047.
- Stauff, N. E.; Mo, K.; Cao, Y.; Thomas, J. W.; Miao, Y.; Lee, C.; Matthews, C.; Feng, B. “Preliminary Applications of NEAMS Codes for Multiphysics Modeling of a Heat Pipe Microreactor.” Proceedings of ANS Annual 2021 meeting, 2021.
- Stauff, N. E.; Miao, Y.; Bhattacharya, S.; Yacout, A.; Kim, T.K. “Advanced Micro-reactor Concept Enabled by Innovative Technology.” Proceedings of ANS Annual 2021 meeting, 2021.
- Ponciroli, R.; Stauff, N. E.; Ramsey, J.; Ganda F.; Vilim, R. B. “An Improved Genetic Algorithm Approach to the Unit Commitment/Economic Dispatch Problem.” IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, 2020, 35. doi: 10.1109/TPWRS.2020.2986710
- Zeng, K.; Stauff, N.; Hou, J.; Kim, T. K. “Development of Multi-objective Core Optimization Framework and Application to Sodium-cooled Fast Test Reactors.” Progress in Nuclear Energy, 2020, 120, 103184.
- Stauff, N. E.; Miao, Y.; Kutgen, D. “Micro-reactor Design for Truck Charging Station.” Proceedings of ANS Winter Meeting, Chicago, 2020.
- Stauff, N. E.; Lee, C.; Zou, L.; Filippone, C. “Core Design of the Holos-quad Micro Reactor.” Proceedings of ANS Winter Meeting, Chicago, 2020.
- Stauff, N. E.; Kim, T.K.; Lefebvre, R. A.; Langley, B. R.; Rearden, B. T. “Integration of the Argonne Reactor Computation codes into the NEAMS Workbench,” ANS Summer meeting, Philadelphia, 2018.
- Stauff, N. E.; Lefebvre, R. A.; Swiler, L.; Rearden, B. T. “Coupling of DAKOTA with the ARC Suite of Codes in the NEAMS Workbench for Uncertainty Quantification.” ANS Summer meeting, Philadelphia, 2018.
- Stauff, N. E.; Zeng, K.; Zhang, G.; Aliberti, G.; Hu, J.; Fanning, T.; Kim, T. K. “Uncertainty Quantification of ABR Transient Safety Analysis: Nuclear Data Uncertainties.” Conference Best estimate Modelling Plus Uncertainties in Safety Analyses (BEPU 2018), Lucca, Italy, 2018.
- Stauff, N. E.; Ponciroli, R.; Kim, T.K.; Taiwo, T. A. “Benefits of the Sodium-cooled Fast Reactor Technology for Load Following Applications.” Fast Reactors Conference (FR17), Yekaterinburg, Russia, 2017.
- Stauff, N. E.; Romano, P. K.; Lee, C. H.; Kim, T.K. “Verification of Mixed Stochastic/Deterministic Approach for Fast and Thermal Reactor Analysis.” Proceedings of International Congress on Advances in Nuclear Power Plants (ICAPP17), Fukui-Kyoto, Japan, 2017.
- Stauff, N. E.; Hoffman, E.; Kim, T.K.; Taiwo, T. A. “Impact of Fast Reactor Technology on U/Pu and U/TRU Continuous Recycle Fuel Cycles.” Proceeding of Physics of Reactors Conference (PHYSOR 2016), 2016, paper 16061.
- Stauff, N. E.; Kim, T. K.; Taiwo, T. A. “Variations in Nuclear Waste Management Performance of Various Fuel-cycle Options.” Journal of Nuclear Science and Technology, 2015, 52, 1,058–1,073. doi: 10.1080/00223131.2015.1032380
- Stauff, N. E.; Buiron, L.; Fontaine, B.; Rimpault, G. “Methodology for Designing a Sodium-cooled Fast Reactor with Inherent Safety.” Nuclear Technology, 2013, 181.
- Fiorina, C.; Stauff, N. E.; Franceschini, F.; Wenner, M.T.; Stanculescu, A.; Kim, T.K.; Cammi, A.; Ricotti, M.E.; Hill, R.N.; Taiwo, T.A.; Salvatores, M. “Comparative Analysis of Thorium and Uranium Fuel for Transuranic Recycle in a Sodium Cooled Fast Reactor.” Annals of Nuclear Energy, 2013, 62, 26–39.
- Stauff, N. E.; Kim, T.K.; Yun, D.; Taiwo, T.A.; Khalil, H. S. “Application of an Annular Metallic Fuel with Lower Gas Plenum for Sodium-cooled Fast Reactor.” Proceedings of ANS Summer conference, Atlanta, 2013, paper 110113.
- Stauff, N. E.; Fiorina, C.; Franceschini, F.; Kim, T. K.; Taiwo, T. A. “Analysis of Fuel Options for the ARR Breakeven Core Configuration.” Proceedings of International Nuclear Fuel Cycle Conference (GLOBAL2013), Salt Lake City, 2013, paper 8221.
- Stauff, N. E.; Driscoll, M. J.; Hejzlar, P.; Forget, B. “Resolution of Proliferation Issues for a Sodium Fast Reactor Blanket.” Nuclear Technology, 2010, 170, 371–382.
- Varaine, F.; Stauff, N. E.; Masson, M.; Pelletier, M.; Mignot, G.; Zaetta, A.; Rouault, J. “Comparative Review on Different Fuels for GEN IV Sodium Fast Reactors: Merits and Drawbacks.” Proceedings of FR09, Kyoto, Japan, 2009, paper 1172.