Researchers in multiple disciplines routinely work together to solve large, complex problems that contribute to the advancement of science and society. As an Argonne Postdoc, you can be a part of our crosscutting R&D efforts, working together to develop new ideas, approaches and synergies that advance innovation and discovery. In addition to research, you can engage with both the Argonne and outside communities through various outreach and educational activities.
Postdocs at Argonne are supported through career development and mentoring, newcomer education, and a vibrant, engaged postdoctoral community. And as evidenced by our many highly successful postdoctoral alumni, Argonne’s program offers a chance to start a long and rewarding career at the forefront of science.
The Argonne Postdoc Experience
As an Argonne postdoc, your academic achievements and demonstrated research capabilities will undoubtedly contribute to the continuing scientific and technological success of the Laboratory. The role of the Postdoctoral Program Office is to ensure that your tenure at Argonne be as productive and rewarding as possible. Your goals and needs may evolve as you progress through your appointment. We take a three-year, three-step approach to providing guidance, resources and programs targeted to help you navigate specific key steps in your appointment:
- Step 1: Set research and career goals
- Step 2: Evaluate progress — review accomplishments and set future plans
- Step 3: Look ahead — review accomplishments and explore career options
To help you achieve your goals, we provide opportunities to network, collaborate and build your skillset through:
- Monthly career and professional development events
- A thriving community through the Postdoctoral Society of Argonne
- A chance to connect with mentors outside your immediate network
- Visibility among the broader Argonne community through Employee Resource Groups and Educational Outreach opportunities
You can also explore the areas below to help you transition into postdoctoral life.