This invention introduces a new paradigm for materials science and solid-state chemistry by moving away from an explorative experimental synthesis, followed by phenomenological modeling approach, towards a predictive process by identifying phase space where metastable states occur from machine learning and first principles.
Argonne maintains a wide-ranging science and technology portfolio that seeks to address complex challenges in interdisciplinary and innovative ways. Below is a list of all articles, highlights, profiles, projects, and organizations related specifically to instrumentation.
- This invention comprises a predictive machine learning framework that leverages high performance computing and high-level quantum calculations to predict, determine, and validate phase diagrams in chemical systems without any recourse to experimental infoIntellectual Property Available to License
- This invention comprises the introduction of an active learning method that starts training a neural network with “a single” data point.Intellectual Property Available to License
Please contact us for additional information
- This invention addresses a critical issue of multiple objective optimization and is a general approach applicable to all types of model or property optimization.Intellectual Property Available to License
This invention comprises a solution to the problem of simultaneous optimization of multiple objectives by creating a “hierarchy of objectives with passing criteria” which allows an optimization algorithm to understand the relative importance of the objectives and also provides a pathway for it to tackle the list of objectives in a systematic baby-stepping manner that is based on well defined target values rather than arbitrary weights.
- Process and apparatus for mixed solid separations, including the separation of metal from plastic and metal from metal.Intellectual Property Available to License
Argonne’s full-scale mixed solid separation module. Available for collaborative demonstration projects. IP package includes a granted US patent and a set of copyrighted engineering manuals.
Opportunity & Solution
Electrical and electronic waste (E-waste) is a fast-growing segment of the global solid waste stream. Recycled materials such as metals, plastic and glass formed the largest market share. This technology has been demonstrated to significantly decrease contamination of low-grade E-waste plastic and metal recycling fractions.
▪ Provides new opportunities to increase E-waste value
▪ Low cost
▪ Easy to operate
▪ Modular design (basic sink/float; kinetic separation; froth flotation)