Cong Liu is a research chemist in the Catalysis Science Group of the Chemical Sciences and Engineering Division at Argonne. Her research interests are computational catalysts/materials design for energy conversion and storage, development of computational methods and models for complex catalytic systems, and development of high-level quantum mechanical methods for solid-state catalysis.
B.S., Applied Chemistry, Shenyang University of Chemical Technology, 2007
Ph.D., Physical Chemistry, University of North Texas, 2013
Research and Professional Experience
2016-present Assistant Chemist, Chemical Sciences and Engineering Division, Argonne
2013-2016 Argonne Scholar, Materials Science Division, Argonne
2009-2013 Research Assistant, University of North Texas
- Tunable Single-Site Catalysts for Selective Functionalization of Alkanes
- Computational Studies of Lithium Oxygen and Lithium Sulfur Batteries
Awards and Honors
- Argonne Director’s Fellowship, Argonne National Laboratory, 2013
- Chemical Computing Group (CCG) Research Excellence Award, 243th American Chemical Society National Meeting, 2012
- Thesis and Dissertation Fellowship, University of North Texas, 2012
- Outstanding International Graduate Student, University of North Texas, 2013
- Ed and Julia Hodges Memorial Scholarship for Outstanding Graduate Research, University of North Texas, 2012
- Graduate Research Assistant Tuition Scholarship, University of North Texas, 2011
Selected Publications (full list: Google Scholar)
- C. Plascencia, L. A. Curtiss, C. Liu. Computational Studies of Silica Supported Metal Ions for Hydrogen Activation: Catalytic Properties of Metals and Performance of DFT Functionals. J. Phys. Chem. A 2019, 123 (1), 171.
- Z. H. Syed, D. M. Kaphan, F. A. Perras, M. Pruski, M. S. Ferrandon, E. C. Wegener, G. Celik, J. Wen, C. Liu, F. Dogan, K. I. Goldberg, M. Delferro. Electrophilic Organoiridium(III) Pincer Complexes on Sulfated Zirconia for Hydrocarbon Activation and Functionalization. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2019, 141(15), 6325.
- Y. A. Wu, I. McNulty, C. Liu, K. C. Lau, Q. Liu, A. P. Paulikas, C.-J. Sun, Z. Cai, J. R. Guest, Y. Ren, V. Stamenkovic, L. A. Curtiss, Y. Liu, T. Rajh. Facet-Dependent Active Sites of a Single Cu2O Particle Photocatalyst for CO2 Reduction to Methanol. Nat. Ener. 2019, 4, 957.
- W. Yao, Y. Yuan, G. Tan, C. Liu, M. Cheng, V. Yurkiv, X. Bi, F. Long, C. R. Friedrich, F. Mashayek, K. Amine, J. Lu, R. Tuning Li2O2 Formation Routes by Facet Engineering of MnO2 Cathode Catalysts. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2019, 141(32), 12832.
- G. Tan, L. Chong, C. Zhan, J. Wen, L. Ma, Y. Yuan, X. Zeng, F. Guo, J. E. Pearson, T. Li, T. Wu, D. Liu, R. Shahbazian-Yassar, J. Lu, C. Liu, K. Amine. Insights into Structural Evolution of Lithium Peroxides with Reduced Charge Overpotential in Li−O2 System. Adv. Energy Mater. 2019, 1900662.
- M. Asadi, M. H. Motevaselian, T. V. Sun, C. Liu, P. Abbasi, A. Moradzadeh, P. Zapol, A. Khodadoust, L. A. Curtiss, N. R. Aluru, A. Salehi-Khojin. CO2 Photo-reduction at 23% Efficiency Using Inexpensive and Earth Abundant Catalytic System. Adv. Energy Mater. 2019, 9, 1803536.
- M. Asadi, B. Sayahpour, P. Abbasi, A. T. Ngo, K. Karis, J. R. Jokisaari, C. Liu, B. Narayanan, M. Gerard, P. Yasaei, X. Hu, A. Mukherjee, K. Chun Lau, R. S. Assary, F. Khalili-Araghi, R. F. Klie, L. A. Curtiss, A. Salehi-Khojin. Enabling Operation of Lithium-Oxygen Batteries with Long Cycle Life in a Realistic Air Atmosphere. Nature 2018, 555, 502.
- C. Liu, J. Camacho-Bunquin, M. Ferrandon, A. Savara, H. Sohn, D. Yang, D. Kaphan, P. Anne Ignacio-de Leon, S. Liu, U. Das, B. Yang, A. S. Hock, P. C. Stair, L. A. Curtiss, and M. Delferro. Development of Activity-Descriptor Relationships for Supported Metal Ion Hydrogenation Catalysts on Silica. Polyhedron 2018, 152, 73-83.
- R. C. Klet, D. M. Kaphan, C. Liu, F. A. Perras, M. Pruski, A. S. Hock, M. Delferro. Evidence for Redox Mechanisms in Organometallic Chemisorption and Reactivity on Sulfated Metal Oxides. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2018, 140 (20), 6308–6316.
- M. Asadi, K. Kim, C. Liu, V. A. Addepalli, P. Phillips, P. Abbasi, A. Behranginia, P. Yasaei, R. Haasch, P. Zapol, B. Kumar, R. F. Klie, J. Abiade, L. A. Curtiss, A. Salehi-Khojin. Nanostructured Transition Metal Dichalcogenide Electrocatalysts for CO2 Reduction in Ionic Liquid. Science 2016, 353, 467.