Dileep Singh leads the Thermal and Structural Materials (TSM) group in Argonne National Laboratory’s Applied Materials division. TSM group consists of scientists and engineers with advanced degrees in materials science, mechanical engineering, chemistry and thermal sciences. TSM group’s expertise include materials modeling and simulations, machine learning, processing and characterizations of high temperature materials, thermal storage and heat transfer.
Dr. Singh is experienced in processing, structure/property relationships, and reliability of high temperature materials. Recent research focus has been on the development of thermal energy storage, materials for extreme environments, advanced characterizations, and innovative manufacturing.
Dr Singh led a team to develop a high efficiency thermal energy storage system (TESS) that can operate at temperature over 700°C. TESS has applications that include solar thermal plants, waste heat recovery, and thermal desalination.
He is a co-inventor of the low-temperature phosphate ceramics technology, CeramicreteTM, and has worked extensively in the development of phosphate ceramics for structural, nuclear materials storage, and waste disposal applications. The technology has been licensed by Argonne to several companies for use in commercial and government sector applications.
Early in his career, Singh’s work focused on the mechanical behavior and reliability of structural ceramics and composite materials. He has conducted fundamental and applied research on high-temperature plastic deformation as a joining technique for ceramics. He has applied the plastic deformation process to fabricate ceramic gas oxygen and NOx electrochemical sensors that can operate at high temperatures (>600°C). Applications for these sensors are in the manufacturing and transportation industries.
For more information, contact Media Relations at (630) 252-5580 or email@example.com.
- Ph.D., Materials Science and Engineering, University of Utah
- M.S., Metallurgical Engineering, Wayne State University
- B.Tech., Metallurgical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
Awards, Honors and Memberships
- R&D 100 Award, R&D Magazine for “Thermal Energy Storage System” 2019
- James I. Mueller Award, American Ceramic Society, 2019
- Fellow of the American Society of Metals-International, 2016
- Lee Hsun Award, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 2013
- Academician, World Academy of Ceramics, 2012
- Fellow of the American Ceramic Society, 2009
- ASM-IIM Lectureship Award, 2009
- R&D 100 Award, R&D Magazine for “Oxygen Sensor with Internal Reference,” 2005
- Argonne Director’s Award for Outstanding Achievement for Development of Ceramicrete Technology, 2001
- Commendation Certificate from U.S. Department of Energy Secretary, Mr. Bill Richardson, 2000
- Federal Laboratory Consortium Award for Technology Transfer to Industry, 2000
- Pacesetter Award, Argonne National Lab, 1997
- R&D 100 Award, R&D Magazine for development of “CeramicreteTM Binder,” 1996
Publications and Patents
- More than 170 articles published in peer-reviewed journals, books and proceedings
- 27 U.S. and international patents
Selected Professional Activities
- Member of American Ceramic Society, American Society of Materials, and American Association for Advancement of Science
- Program Chair, 12th Pacific Rim Conference of Ceramic Societies, 2017
- Program Chair, International Conference on Advanced Ceramics and Composites, 2011
- Associate Editor, International Journal of the Applied Ceramic Technology, 2008–16
- Editorial Board, International Materials Review, 2010–19
- Editorial Board, J. of Engg. Materials and Performance, 2008–present
- Department of Energy, Mixed Waste Form Review Panel, 1995–1997