Jeff Eastman is a Senior Materials Scientist in the Materials Science Division. He joined Argonne National Laboratory in 1987. His recent research at Argonne has focused on in-situ synchrotron x-ray studies of of the synthesis and behavior of complex oxide and nitride thin films.
He received B.S. and M.S. degrees in Metallurgical Engineering from the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign in 1979 and 1982 respectively. He then received a Ph.D. in Materials Science from Cornell University in 1985. His Ph.D. thesis research investigated grain boundary structures in oxide materials. From 1985-87 he was an Alexander von Humboldt Postdoctoral Fellow at the Max Planck Institut für Metallforschung in Stuttgart, Germany. During this time he used TEM techniques to characterize metal-oxide heterointerfaces.
He currently serves as a member of the Advanced Photon Source Beamtime Allocation Committee. He was the innaugural chair of the Materials Research Society Postdoctoral Awards Subcommittee, and prior to that chaired both the External Awards Subcommittee and the Graduate Student Awards Subcommittee. He also served as a Congress Chair for the 25th Annual International Materials Research Congress in 2016.
His approximately 200 publications have been cited more than 32,000 times and his h-index is currently 52.
Selected Recent Publications
G. Xu, M.J. Highland, C. Thompson, J.A. Eastman, P.H. Fuoss, H. Zhou, R. Dejus, G.B. Stephenson, “Characterization of the X-ray coherence properties of an undulator beamline at the Advanced Photon Source,” J. Synch. Rad., 25, Part 4, 1036-1047 (2018).
M.J. Highland, S.O. Hruszkewycz, D.D. Fong, C. Thompson, P.H. Fuos, I. Calvo-Almazan, S. Maddali, A. Ulvestad, E. Nazaretski, X. Huang, H. Yan, Y.S. Chu, H. Zhou, P.M. Baldo, J.A. Eastman, “In-situ Synchrotron X-ray Studies of the Microstructure and Stability of In2O3 Epitaxial Films,” Appl. Phys. Lett., 111, no. 16, 161602 (2017), DOI: 10.1063/1.4997773.
B.W. Veal, J.A. Eastman, “Conduction in In2O3/YSZ heterostructures: Complex Interplay between Electrons and Ions, Mediated by Interfaces,” APL Materials, 5, 042502 (2017), DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4977205
- G. Ju, M.J. Highland, A. Yanguas-Gil, Carol Thompson, J.A. Eastman, H. Zhou, S.M. Brennan, G.B. Stephenson, P.H. Fuoss, “An instrument for in situ coherent X-ray studies of metal-organic vapor phase epitaxy of III-nitrides,” Rev. Sci. Instr., 88, no. 3, 035113 (2017).
- B.W. Veal, S.K. Kim, P. Zapol, H. Iddir, P.M. Baldo, J.A. Eastman, “Interfacial control of oxygen vacancy doping and electrical conduction in thin film oxide heterostructures,” Nature Communications, 7, 11892 (2016), DOI: 10.1038/ncomms11892.
- M.J. Highland, E. Perret, C.M. Folkman, D.D. Fong, Carol Thompson, P.H. Fuoss, J.A. Eastman, “Effect of SrO doping on LaGaO3 synthesis via magnetron sputtering,” Cryst. Growth & Design, 16, no. 12, 6812-6816 (2016), DOI: 10.1021/acs.cgd.6b00914.
- M. J. Highland, D. D. Fong, G. Ju, C. Thompson, P. M. Baldo, P. H. Fuoss, and J. A. Eastman, “In-situ x-ray studies of compositional control during synthesis of LaGaO3 by radio frequency-magnetron sputtering,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 107, 081606 (2015), DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4929753.
- E.M. Hopper, E. Perret, B.J. Ingram, H. You, K.-C. Chang, P.M. Baldo, P.H. Fuoss, J.A. Eastman, “Oxygen Exchange in La0.6Sr0.4Co0.2Fe0.8O3-δ Thin Film Heterostructures Under Applied Electric Potential,” J. Phys. Chem. C., 119, no. 34, 19915-19921 (2015), DOI: 10.1021/acs.jpcc.5b05505.
- B.W. Veal, P.M. Baldo, A.P. Paulikas, J.A. Eastman, “Understanding Artifacts in Impedance Spectroscopy,” J. Electrochem. Soc., 162, no. 1, H47-H57 (2015), DOI: 10.1149/2.0791501jes.
- M.J. Highland, D.D. Fong, G.B. Stephenson, T.T. Fister, P.H. Fuoss, S.K. Streiffer, C. Thompson, M.I. Richard, J.A. Eastman, “Interfacial charge and strain effects on the ferroelectric behavior of epitaxial (001) PbTiO3 films on (110) DyScO3 substrates,” Applied Physics Letters, 104,132901 (2014), DOI:10.1063/1.4869579.
- S.-H. Chang, R. Subbaraman, K.-C. Chang, N. Danilovic, A. P. Paulikas, D. D. Fong, M. J. Highland, P. M. Baldo, V. R. Stamenkovic, J. W. Freeland, J. A. Eastman, and N. M. Markovic, “Functional links between stability and reactivity of strontium ruthenate single crystals during oxygen evolution,” Nature Comm. 5, 4191 (2014), DOI: 10.1038/ncomms5191.
- A. Rebola, D.D. Fong, J.A. Eastman, S. Ogut, P. Zapol, “First-principles study of compensation mechanisms in negatively charged LaGaO3/MgAl2O4interfaces,” Phys. Rev. B, 87, no. 24, 245117 (2013).
- B.J. Ingram, J.A. Eastman, K.C. Chang, S.K. Kim, T.T. Fister, E. Perret, H. You, P.M. Baldo, P.H. Fuoss, “In situ x-ray studies of oxygen surface exchange behavior in thin film La0.6Sr0.4Co0.2Fe0.8O3- δ,” Appl. Phys. Lett., 101, no. 5, 051603 (2012).