Lauren Valentino is an Environmental Engineer in the Applied Materials Division at Argonne National Laboratory. Her research focuses on physical and chemical processes with an emphasis on addressing challenges related to sustainable, reliable, and cost-effective water and energy supplies. More specifically, her expertise includes membrane separations for water treatment and biofuel production applications. Her work is at the interface of several disciplines including materials science, synthetic chemistry, interfacial/transport phenomena, and nanotechnology. At Argonne, she is working on electrochemical and pressure-driven membrane technologies, including the design and development of novel materials, for energy-efficient selective separations.
- Ph.D. Environmental Engineering, University of Illinois - Urbana/Champaign, 2017
- M.S. Environmental Engineering, University of Illinois - Urbana/Champaign, 2013
- B.S. Civil and Environmental Engineering, Minor in Chemistry, University of Illinois - Urbana/Champaign, 2011
- Argonne Outstanding Poster Presentation, 2019
- ACS Best Presentation Award, 2017
- AEESP Presentation Award, 2017
- C. Ellen Gonter ACS Environmental Chemistry Award, 2015
- Wang, H.; Edaño, L.; Valentino, L.; Lin, Y. J.; Palakkal, V. M.; Hu, D.-L.; Chen, B.-H.; Liu, D.-J., Capacitive Deionization Using Carbon Derived from an Array of Zeolitic-Imidazolate Frameworks. Nano Energy. 77 (2020): 105304.
- Jordan M., Valentino L. (co-first author), Nazyrynbekova N., Palakkal V. M., Kole S., Bhattacharya D., Lin Y. J., Arges C.G. Promoting water-splitting in Janus bipolar ion-exchange resin wafers for electrodeionization. Molecular Systems Design & Engineering. 5.5 (2020): 922-935.
- Palakkal V. M., Valentino L. (co-first author), Lei Q., Kole S., Lin Y. J., Arges C.G. “Advancing Electrodeionization with Conductive Ionomer Binders that Immobilize Ion-Exchange Resin Particles into Porous Wafer Substrates.” npj Clean Water. 3.1 (2020): 5.
- Matsumoto M., Valentino L., Stiel G.M., Balch H.B., Corcos A.R., Wang F., Ralph D.C., Mariñas B.J., Dichtel W.R. “Lewis Acid-Catalyzed Interfacial Polymerization of Covalent Organic Framework Films.” Chem. 4.2 (2018): 308-317.
- Valentino L., Matsumoto M., Dichtel W.R., Mariñas B. “Development and Performance Characterization of a Polyimine Covalent Organic Framework Thin-Film Composite Nanofiltration Membrane.” Environmental Science & Technology. 51.24 (2017) 14352–14359.
- Valentino L., Renkens T. Mariñas B., Maugin T., Croue J.P. “Changes in Physicochemical and Transport Properties of a Reverse Osmosis Membrane Exposed to Chloraminated Seawater.” Environmental Science & Technology. 49.4 (2015): 2301-2309.