Olle Heinonen is a Sr. Materials Scientist in the Materials Science Division. His research is in the areas of condensed matter theory and computational materials science, and includes magnetization structures and dynamics in magnetic nanostructures, electronic structure and transport in oxide nanostructures, and mesoscale computational materials sciences approaches to structure and microstructural evolution. He is a Thrust leader in the Center for Predictive Simulations of Functional Materials, deputy director in the Engineering Frontier Research Center “Center for the Advancement of Topological Semimetals”, and he leads strategies for artificial intelligence in science in the Physical Sciences and Engineering Directorate.
Ph.D. in Physics, Case Western Reserve University
Fellow, American Physical Society (2014)
36 US Patents
Select Recent Publications
- Dynamics of reconfigurable spin ice: towards magnonic functional materials, S. Gliga, E. Iacocca, and O.G. Heinonen (APL Materials Perspective, accepted, Editor’s Choice).
- Tailoring spin wave channels in reconfigurable artificial spin ice, E. Iacocca, S. Gliga, and O. Heinonen (Phys. Rev. Appl., accepted).
- Structure of potassium dopants in nickel oxide: a combined experimental-theoretical study, F. Wrobel, H. Shin, G.E. Sterbinsky, H.-W. Hsiao, J.-M. Zuo, P. Ganesh, J.T. Krogel, A. Benali, P.R.C. Kent, O. Heinonen, and A. Bhattacharya, Phys. Rev. Materials 3, 115003 (2019).
- Spin-to-charge conversion in magnetic Weyl semimetals, S.-L. S. Zhang, I. Martin, A. Burkov, and O. Heinonen, Phys. Rev. Lett. 123, 187201 (2019).
- Phase Segmentation in Atom-Probe Tomography Using Deep Learning-Based Edge Detection, Sandeep Madireddy, Ding-Wen Chung, Troy Loeffer, Subramanian K.R.S. Sankaranarayan, David N. Seidman, Prasanna Balaprakash, and Olle Heinonen, Scientific Reports 9, 20140 (2019).
- Giant anisotropy of Gilbert damping in epitaxial CoFe films, Yi Li, Fanlong Zeng, Shulei Zhang, Hyeondeok Shin, Hilal Saglam, Vedat Karakas, Ozhan Ozatay, John Pearson, Olle Heinonen, Yizheng Wu, Axel Hoffmann, and Wei Zhang, Phys, Rev. Lett. 122, 117203 (2019).
- Many-Particle Theory, E.K.U. Gross. E. Runge and O. Heinonen, (433 pages, IOP Publishing, Bristol, 1991)
- Composite Fermions, O. Heinonen (editor), 491 pages, World Scientific, Singapore, 1998
- A Quantum Approach to Condensed Matter, Philip L. Taylor and O. Heinonen (Cambridge University Press, 2002)
- Novel Materials and Devices for Spintronics, S. Sanvito, O. Heinonen, V.A. Dediu, and N. Rizzo (editors) (Materials Research Society Symposium Proceedings 1183, 2009).