Rachid Amine is an assistant chemist at Argonne National Laboratory (ANL). Since joining ANL in 2013, his research efforts have focused on development of high energy materials and beyond lithium ion technologies.
He previously held R&D engineer position at Enerdel Inc, In this role he worked on Research and development of electrolyte formulations to improve cycle life, high temperature performance and suppression of gas generation in lithium ion batteries. He was responsible of continuous process improvement in developing new cell technologies, processing for electrodes (mixing and coating), scaling up processes from R&D to pilot and manufacturing level, cell manufacturing support, & investigating failure mechanism on both cell and module levels.
Rachid is received his PhD in Chemical Engineering at the university of Illinois at Chicago December of 2020 and his master of science in Chemical Engineering in December of 2009 from Illinois Institute of Technology. Throughout his graduate studies, he worked as a research assistant at Argonne National laboratory. Rachid’s research projects included: synthesis and characterization of high energy and high power materials for automotive application; electrochemical evaluation and thermal characterization lithium ion batteries, safety improvement by surface modification of active materials.
- Amine Daali, Xinwei Zhou, Chen Zhao, Inhui Hwang, Zhenzhen Yang, Yuzi Liu, Rachid Amine, Cheng-Jun Sun, Wilkistar Otieno, Gui-Liang Xu, Khalil Amine, “In situ microscopy and spectroscopy characterization of microsized Sn anode for sodium-ion batteries” , Nano Energy, 108753
- Askins, Erik, Marija Zoric, Matthew Li, Rachid Amine, Khalil Amine, Larry Curtiss and Ksenija Glusac. “Triarylmethyl cation redox mediators enhance Li-O2 battery discharge capacities.” Nature Chemistry, (2023): 1-8
- Su, Chi-Cheung, Jiayan Shi, Rachid Amine, Meinan He, Seoung-Bum Son, Juchen Guo, Meng Jiang, et al. “Terminally Fluorinated Glycol Ether Electrolyte for Lithium Metal Batteries.” Nano Energy 110, 108335
- Shi, Jiayan, Chi-Cheung Su, Rachid Amine, Xianyang Wu, Peter Lamp, Filippo Maglia, Roland Jung, et al. “Prelithiation of Lithium Peroxide for Silicon Anode: Achieving a High Activation Rate.” ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces (2023).
- Kondori, Alireza, Mohammadreza Esmaeilirad, Ahmad Harzandi, Rachid Amine, Mahmoud Saray, Lei Yu, Tongchao Liu, et al.“A Room Temperature Rechargeable Li2O-based Lithium-Air Battery Enabled by a Solid-State Electrolyte.” Science 379, no. 6631 February 3, 2023: 499-504. doi: 10.1126/science.abq1347.
- Elmaataouy, Elhoucine, Abdelwahed Chari, Ayoub El Bendali, Marwa Tayoury, Rachid Amine, Mohamed Aqil, GuiLiang Xu, et al.” LiNi0.8Fe0.1Al0.1O2 as a cobalt-free cathode material with high capacity and high capability for lithium-ion batteries.” Batteries 9, no. 1 (2022):23 doi: 10.3390/batteries9010023.
- Daali, Amine, Chen Zhao, Xinwei Zhou, Zhenzhen Yang, Rachid Amine, Yuzi Liu, Otieno Wilkistar, et al.“Tuning working potential of silicon-phosphorus anode via microstructure control for high-energy lithium-ion batteries.” Journal of Solid State Electrochemistry 26, no. 9 September, 2022: 1919-1927. doi: 10.1007/s10008-022-05192-0.
- Plunkett, Samuel, Alireza Kondori, Duck Young Chung, Jianguo Wen, Mark Wolfman, Saul Lapidus, Yang Ren, et al.“A New Cathode Material for a Li-O2 Battery based on Lithium Superoxide.” ACS Energy Letters 7, no. 8 August 12, 2022: 2619-2626. doi: 10.1021/acsenergylett.2c01191.
- Sayah, Simon , Arunabh Ghosh, Mariam Baazizi, Rachid Amine, Mouad Dahbi, Youssef Amine, Fouad Ghamouss and et al.“How do super concentrated electrolytes push the Li-ion batteries and supercapacitors beyond their thermodynamic and electrochemical limits?.” Nano Energy 98 July, 2022 doi: 10.1016/j.nanoen. 2022.107336.
- Su, Chi-Cheung, Meinan He, Mei Cai, Jiayan Shi, Rachid Amine, Nancy Dietz Rago, Juchen Guo, et al.“Solvation-Protection-Enabled High-Voltage Electrolyte for Lithium Metal Batteries.” Nano Energy 92 February, 2022 doi: 10.1016/j.nanoen.2021.106720
- Yu, Lei, Tongchao Liu, Rachid Amine, Jianguo Wen, Jun Lu and Khalil Amine. “High Nickel and No Cobalt—the Pursuit of Next-Generation Layered Oxide Cathodes.” ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 14, no. 20 March 25, 2022: 23056-23065. doi: 10.1021/acsami.1c22091.
- Xin He, Dominic Bresser, Stefano Passerini, Florian Baakes, Ulrike Krewer, Jeffrey Lopez, Christopher Mallia, Yang Shao-Horn, Isidora Cekic-Laskovic, Simon Wiemers-Meyer, Fernando Soto, Victort Ponce, Jorge Seminario, Perla Balbuena, Hao Jia, Wu Xu, Yaobin Xu, Chongmin Wang, Birger Horstmann, Rachid Amine, Chi-Cheung Su, Jiayan Shi, Khalil Amine, Martin Winter, Arnulf Latz & Robert Kostecki, “The passivity of lithium electrodes in liquid electrolytes for secondary batteries.”, , Nature Reviews Materials 6, no. 11 (2021): 1036-1052.
- Su, Chi-Cheung, Meinan He, Jiayan Shi, Rachid Amine, Jian Zhang, Juchen Guo and Khalil Amine. “Superior Long-term Cycling of High-Voltage Lithium-ion Batteries Enabled by Single-solvent Electrolyte.” Nano Energy 89, 106299
- Su, Chi-Cheung, Meinan He, Rachid Amine, Zonghai Chen, Zhou Yu, Tomas Rojas, Lei Cheng, et al. “Unveiling Decaying Mechanism through Quantitative Structure-Activity Relationship in Electrolytes for Lithium-ion Batteries.” Nano Energy 83 May, 2021 doi: 10.1016/j.nanoen.2021.105843.
- Horstmann, Birger , Jiayan Shi, Rachid Amine, Martin Werres, Xin He, Hao Jia, Florian Hausen, et al. “Strategies towards enabling lithium metal in batteries: interphases and electrodes.” Energy and Environmental Science 2021 doi: 10.1039/d1ee00767j.
- Cevik, Emre, Seyda Gunday, Ayhan Bozkurt, Rachid Amine and Khalil Amine. “Bioinspired redox mediated electrolyte for high performance flexible supercapacitor applications over broad temperature domain.” Journal of Power Sources 474 October 31, 2020 doi: 10.1016/j.jpowsour.2020.228544.
- Su, Chi-Cheung, Meinan He, Jiayan Shi, Rachid Amine, Zhou Yu, Lei Cheng, Juchen Guo, et al. “Principle in Developing Novel Fluorinated Sulfone Electrolyte for High Voltage Lithium-ion Batteries.” Energy and Environmental Science 14, no. 5 May 1, 2021: 3029-3034. doi: 10.1039/d0ee03890c.
- Su, Chi‐Cheung, Meinan He, Jiayan Shi, Rachid Amine, et al. “Solvation Rule for Solid‐Electrolyte Interphase Enabler in Lithium‐Metal Batteries.” Angewandte Chemie International Edition 59, no. 41 (2020): 18229-18233.
- Rachid Amine, Amine Daali, Xinwei Zhou, Xiang Liu, Yuzi Liu, Yang Ren, Xiaoyi Zhang et al. “A practical phosphorus-based anode material for high-energy lithium-ion batteries.” Nano Energy (2020): 104849.
- Rachid Amine, Jianzhao Liu, Ilona Acznik, Tian Sheng, Katarzyna Lota, Hui Sun, Cheng‐Jun Sun et al. “Regulating the Hidden Solvation‐Ion‐Exchange in Concentrated Electrolytes for Stable and Safe Lithium Metal Batteries.” Advanced Energy Materials (2020): 2000901.
- Keles, Ozgul, B. Deniz Karahan, Levent Eryilmaz, Rachid Amine, Ali Abouimrane, Zonghai Chen, Xiaobing Zuo, Zihua Zhu, Said Al-Hallaj, and Khalil Amine. “Superlattice-structured films by magnetron sputtering as new era electrodes for advanced lithium-ion batteries.” Nano Energy 76 (2020): 105094.
- Rachid Amine, Zhang, Tao, Xuanxuan Bi, Yan Qin, Matthew Li, Said Al-Hallaj, Fengwei Huo, Jun Lu, and Khalil Amine. “Exploring the charge reactions in a Li–O 2 system with lithium oxide cathodes and nonaqueous electrolytes.” Journal of Materials Chemistry A 7, no. 26 (2019): 15615-15620.
- Su, Chi-Cheung, Meinan He, Rachid Amine, et al. “Cyclic carbonate for highly stable cycling of high voltage lithium metal batteries.” Energy Storage Materials 17 (2019): 284-292.
- Xu, Gui‐Liang, Hui Sun, Chao Luo, Luis Estevez, Minghao Zhuang, Han Gao, Rachid Amine et al. “Solid‐State Lithium/Selenium–Sulfur Chemistry Enabled via a Robust Solid‐Electrolyte Interphase.” Advanced Energy Materials 9, no. 2 (2019): 1802235.
- Su, Chi‐Cheung, Meinan He, Rachid Amine, et al. “The relationship between the relative solvating power of electrolytes and shuttling effect of lithium polysulfides in lithium–sulfur batteries.” Angewandte Chemie International Edition 57, no. 37 (2018): 12033-12036.
- Xu, Gui‐Liang, Rachid Amine, Ali Abouimrane, Haiying Che, Mouad Dahbi, Zi‐Feng Ma, Ismael Saadoune et al. “Challenges in developing electrodes, electrolytes, and diagnostics tools to understand and advance sodium‐ion batteries.” Advanced Energy Materials 8, no. 14 (2018): 1702403
- Su, Chi-Cheung, Meinan He, Rachid Amine, et al. “Internally referenced DOSY-NMR: a novel analytical method in revealing the solution structure of lithium-ion battery electrolytes.” The journal of physical chemistry letters 9, no. 13 (2018): 3714-3719.
- Aziam, H., Y. Tamraoui, L. Ma, R. Amine, T. Wu, B. Manoun, G. L. Xu, K. Amine, J. Alami, and I. Saadoune. “Mechanism of the first lithiation/delithiation process in the anode material CoFeOPO4@ C for Li-ion batteries.” The Journal of Physical Chemistry C 122, no. 13 (2018): 7139-7148.
- Xu, Gui-Liang, Lisong Xiao, Tian Sheng, Jianzhao Liu, Yi-Xin Hu, Tianyuan Ma, Rachid Amine et al. “Electrostatic self-assembly enabling integrated bulk and interfacial sodium storage in 3D titania-graphene hybrid.” Nano letters 18, no. 1 (2018): 336-346.
- Rachid Amine, Tan, Guoqiang, Lina Chong, Jun Lu, Cong Liu, Yifei Yuan, Jianguo Wen et al. “Toward highly efficient electrocatalyst for Li–O2 batteries using biphasic N-doping cobalt@ graphene multiple-capsule heterostructures.” Nano letters 17, no. 5 (2017): 2959-2966.
- Rachid Amine, Luo, Xiangyi, Kah Chun Lau, Jun Lu, Chun Zhan, Larry A. Curtiss, Said Al Hallaj, Brian P. Chaplin, and Khalil Amine. “Mass and charge transport relevant to the formation of toroidal lithium peroxide nanoparticles in an aprotic lithium-oxygen battery: An experimental and theoretical modeling study.” Nano Research 10, no. 12 (2017): 4327-4336.
- Xu, Gui-Liang, Jianzhao Liu, Rachid Amine, Zonghai Chen, and Khalil Amine. “Selenium and selenium–sulfur chemistry for rechargeable lithium batteries: Interplay of cathode structures, electrolytes, and interfaces.” ACS Energy Letters 2, no. 3 (2017): 605-614.
- Xu, Gui-Liang, Jianzhao Liu, Rachid Amine, Zonghai Chen, and Khalil Amine. “Selenium and selenium–sulfur chemistry for rechargeable lithium batteries: interplay of cathode structures, electrolytes, and interfaces.” ACS energy letters 2, no. 3 (2017): 605-614.
- Xu, Gui-Liang, Rachid Amine, et al. “Insights into the structural effects of layered cathode materials for high voltage sodium-ion batteries.” Energy & Environmental Science 10, no. 7 (2017): 1677-1693.
- GL Xu, R. Amine, et al, Energy Environ. Sci., 2017, 10, 1677-1693 DOI: 10.1039/C7EE00827A, Insights into the structural effects of layered cathode materials for high voltage sodium-ion batteries