I am a staff scientist at the High Pressure Collaborative Access Team (HPCAT), X-Ray Science Division. My research interest is focused on understanding the melting process of materials at ultrahigh pressure, materials crystal structure at high pressure and high temperature, and high pressure / high temperature physics and chemistry. I develop and make use of experimental techniques such as time-resolved laser delivery systems, fast x-ray diffraction, and scanning x-ray diffraction microscopy for characterization of materials’ phase transitions and melting. I am also responsible for research and development efforts including developing user programs for the HPCAT synchrotron facility, promoting the developed/established techniques to large user communities, and supporting the HPCAT user program.
- Iron in Earth’s core might be cubic, not hexagonal. Physics World. 21 May 2018
- Putting molten history on the map. PhysOrg. December 13, 2017
- 2012 - Ph.D., Materials Science and Engineering, Florida International University, Miami
- 2007 - B.S., Electrical Engineering, Florida International University, Miami
- Y. Shu, Y. Kono, I. Ohira, Li, Q., R. Hrubiak, C. Park, … G. Shen (2020). Observation of 9‑Fold Coordinated Amorphous TiO2 at High Pressure. J. Phys. Chem. Lett., 11, 374–379.
- D. Popov., N. Velisavljevic, W. Liu, R. Hrubiak, C. Park & G. Shen. (2019). Real time study of grain enlargement in zirconium under room-temperature compression across the α to ω phase transition. Scientific Reports, 1–7.
- R. Hrubiak, J.S. Smith, G. Shen. (2019) Multimode scanning x-ray diffraction microscopy for diamond anvil cell experiments. Review of Scientific Instruments (90), 025109.
- Y. Wang, R. Hrubiak, S. Turczyński, D.A. Pawlak, et al. (2019) Spectroscopic properties and martensitic phase transition of Y4Al2O9: Ce single crystals under high pressure. Acta Materialia (165), 346-361
- M. Kim, R. Hrubiak, J. Smith, C.-S. Yoo. (2019) Thermochemical reactions of Al-based intermetallic composites to AlN. Combustion and Flame (200), 115-124
- D. Smith, J.S. Smith, C. Childs, E. Rod, R. Hrubiak, G. Shen, and A. Salamat. (2018) A CO2 laser heating system for in situ high pressure-temperature experiments at HPCAT. Review of Scientific Instruments (89), 083901.
- R. Hrubiak, Y. Meng, G. Shen. (2018) Experimental evidence of a body centered cubic iron at the Earth’s core condition. ArXiv:1804.05109 [Physics.Geo-Ph] (2018).
- H. Huang, L. Zhu, M. Ward, B. Chaloux, R. Hrubiak, A. Epshteyn, J. Badding, T. Strobel. (2018) Surprising Stability of Cubane Under Extreme Pressure. Physical Chemistry Letters (9), 2031−2037.
- V. S Bhadram, H. Liu, E. Xu, T. Li, V. B Prakapenka, R. Hrubiak, S. Lany, T. A. Strobel. (2018) Semiconducting cubic titanium nitride in the Th3P4 structure. Physical Review Materials (2), 011602.
- R. Hrubiak, Y. Meng and G. Shen. (2017) Microstructures define melting of Mo at high pressures, Nature Communications (8), 14562.
- S. V. Raju, R. Hrubiak, V. Drozd, S. Saxena. (2017) Laser-assisted processing of Ni-Al-Co-Ti under high pressure. Materials and Manufacturing Processes (32), 1606-1611
- V. S. Bhadram, L. Krishna, E. S. Toberer, R. Hrubiak, E. Greenberg, V. B. Prakapenka, T. A. Strobel. (2017) Applied Physics Letters (110), 182106.
- J. Liu, J. Li, R. Hrubiak, J. Smith. (2016) Origins of ultra-low velocity zones through slab-derived metallic melt. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of the America (PNAS) (113), 5547-5551.
- J. Pigott, D. Ditmer, R. Fischer , D. Reaman , R. Hrubiak, Y. Meng, R. Davis , W. Panero. (2015) High-Pressure, High-Temperature Equations of State Using Nanofabricated Controlled-Geometry Ni/SiO2/Ni Double Hot-Plate Samples. Geophysical Research Letters (42) 10239-10247.
- R. Hrubiak, S. Sinogeikin, E. Rod, G. Shen. (2015) The laser micro-machining system for diamond anvil cell experiments and general precision machining applications at HPCAT. Review of Scientific Instruments (86), 072202.
- Y. Meng, R. Hrubiak, E. Rod, R. Boehler, G. Shen. (2015) Laser-heated diamond anvil cell with in-situ x-ray diffraction at HPCAT: new capabilities and opportunities for research under extreme conditions. Review of Scientific Instruments (86), 072201.
- S. Saxena, R. Hrubiak. (2014) Mapping the Nebular Condensates and the Chemical Composition of the Terrestrial Planets. Earth and Planetary Science Letters (393), 113-119.