Dr. Zachary Hood was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He is a scientist at the U.S. Department of Energy’s Argonne National Laboratory, where he leads the Advanced Electrochemical Materials Group within the Energy Storage and Conversion Department of the Applied Materials Division. Under his guidance, the group pioneers inventive synthetic approaches to create cutting-edge solid-state materials, employing various characterization techniques to unravel their properties and performance across the nano-to-macro scale.
- Post-Doctoral, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Ph.D., Georgia Institute of Technology
- B.S., Wake Forest University
Awards and Honors
- Board of Governors Excellence in Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility Award, 2023
- Impact Argonne Award, 2023
- Impact Argonne Award, 2022
- Young Alumni Award, Wake Forest University, 2020
- Maria Goeppert Mayer Director’s Fellowship at Argonne National Laboratory, 2019
- Materials Research Society Graduate Student Award (Gold), 2018
- Georgia Tech Chemistry and Biochemistry External Advisory Board Award, 2018
- National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship, 2015
- Georgia Tech – Oak Ridge National Laboratory Fellowship, 2015
- Georgia Tech Presidential Fellowship, 2015
- Wake Forest Research Fellowship, 2013
- Lola G. Duff and William H. Duff College Scholarship Recipient, 2009 – 2013
- Wake Forest College Scholarship, 2009 – 2013
- American Chemical Society
- American Physical Society
- Electrochemical Society
- International Society for Solid State Ionics
- Materials Research Society
- Chair, CNMS User Executive Committee at ORNL (2023)
- Vice-Chair, CNMS User Executive Committee at ORNL (2022)
- Secretary, CNMS User Executive Committee at ORNL (2017 – 2021)
- Member, MRS Early Career Professionals Subcommittee (2019 – present)
- Z.D. Hood, A.U. Mane, A. Sundar, S. Tepavcevic, P. Zapol, U.D. Eze, S.P. Adhikari, E. Lee, G.E. Sterbinsky, J.W. Elam, and J.G. Connell. Multifunctional Coatings on Sulfide‐Based Solid Electrolyte Powders with Enhanced Processability, Stability, and Performance for Solid‐State Batteries. Advanced Materials, 2023, 2300673.
- Z.D. Hood, Y. Zhu, W.S. Cheng, L. Miara, P. Simons, J.L.M. Rupp. A Sinter-Free Future for Solid-State Battery Designs. Energy and Environmental Science, 2022, 2927-2936.
- Z.D. Hood, X. Chen, R. Sacci, G. Veith, X. Liu, Y. Mo, J. Niu, N.J. Dudney, M. Chi. Elucidating Interfacial Stability between Lithium Metal Anode and LiPON via In Situ Electron Microscopy. Nano Letters, 2021, 21, 151-157.
- M. Balaish, J.C. Gonzalez‐Rosillo, Y. Zhu, K.J. Kim, Z.D. Hood, J.L.M. Rupp. Processing thin but robust electrolytes for solid-state batteries. Nat. Energy, 2021, 1-13.
- S.K. Nemani, B. Zhang, B.C. Wyatt, Z.D. Hood, S. Manna, R. Khaledialidusti, W. Hong, M.G. Sternberg, S.K. Sankaranarayanan, and B. Anasori. High-Entropy 2D Carbide MXenes: TiVNbMoC3 and TiVCrMoC3. ACS Nano, 2021.
- E.C. Self, Z.D. Hood, T. Brahmbhatt, F.M. Delnick, H.M. Meyer, G. Yang, J.L.M. Rupp, J. Nanda. Solvent-Mediated Synthesis of Amorphous Li3PS4/PEO Composite Solid Electrolytes with High Li+ Conductivity. Chem. Mat., 2020, 32, 8789-8797.
- Y. Zhu, M. Balaish, J.C. Gonzalez‐Rosillo, Z.D. Hood, K.J. Kim, J.L.M. Rupp. Lithium-film ceramics for solid-state lithionic devices. Nat. Rev. Mat., 2020, 1-19.
- X. Liu, R. Garcia-Mendez, A.R. Lupini, Y. Cheng, Z.D. Hood, F. Han, A. Sharafi, J.C. Idrobo, N.J. Dudney, C. Wang, C. Ma, J. Sakamoto, M. Chi. Local electronic structure variation resulting in Li ‘filament’ formation within solid electrolytes. Nature Materials, 2021, 1-6.
- Z.D. Hood, H. Wang, A.S. Pandian, R. Peng, K.D. Gilroy, M. Chi, C. Liang, and Y. Xia. Fabrication of Sub-micrometer-thick Solid Electrolyte Membranes of β-Li3PS4 via Tiled Assembly of Nanoscale, Plate-like Building Blocks. Advanced Energy Materials, 2018, 1800014.
- X. Liu, Y.Chen, Z.D. Hood, C. Ma, S. Yu, A. Sharafi, H. Wang, K.An, J. Sakamoto, D.J. Siegel, Y. Cheng, N. Jalarvo, M. Chi. Elucidating the Mobility of H+ and Li+ Ions in (Li6.25-xHxAl0.25)La3Zr2O12 via Correlative Neutron and Electron Spectroscopy. Energy and Environmental Science, 2019, 12, 945-951.
- Z.D. Hood, K. Kubelick, K.D. Gilroy, D. Vanderlaan, X. Yang, M. Yang, M. Chi, S. Emelianov, and Y. Xia. Photothermal Transformation of Au-Ag Nanocages under Pulsed Laser Irradiation. Nanoscale, 2019, 11, 3013-3020.
- Z.D. Hood, M. Chi. Mechanistic Understanding and Strategies to Design Interfaces of Solid Electrolytes: Insights Gained from Transmission Electron Microscopy. Journal of Materials Science, 2019, 15, 10571-10594.
- Q. Zhang, C. Zhang, Z.D. Hood, M. Chi, C. Liang, N.H. Jalarvo, M. Yu, H. Wang. Abnormally Low Activation Energy in Cubic Na3SbS4 Superionic Conductor. Chemistry of Materials, 2020, 32, 2264-2271.
- J.C. Gonzalez‐Rosillo, M. Balaish, Z.D. Hood, N. Nadkarni, D. Fraggedakis, K.J. Kim, K.M. Mullin, R. Pfenninger, M.Z. Bazant, J.L.M. Rupp. Lithium‐Battery Anode Gains Additional Functionality for Neuromorphic Computing through Metal–Insulator Phase Separation. Advanced Materials, 2020, 32, 1907465.
- Z.D. Hood, X. Yang, Y. Li, A.K. Naskar, M. Chi, M.P. Paranthaman. Conversion of Waste Tire Rubber into High-Value-Added Carbon Supports for Electrocatalysis. Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 2018, 165, H881-H888.
- S.P. Adhikari, Z.D. Hood, V.W. Chen, K.L. More, K. Senevirathne, and A. Lachgar. Visible-light-active g-C3N4/N-doped Sr2Nb2O7 Heterojunctions as Photocatalysts for the Hydrogen Evolution Reaction. Sustainable Energy & Fuels, 2018, 2, 2507-2515.
- J. Howard, Z.D. Hood, N.A.W. Holzwarth. Fundamental Aspects of the Structural and Electrolyte Properties of Li2OHCl from Simulations and Experiment. Physical Review Materials, 2017, 1, 075406.
- L.E. Rush Jr., Z.D. Hood, N.A.W. Holzwarth. Unraveling the Electrolyte Properties of Na3SbS4 through Computation and Experiment. Physical Review Materials, 2017, 1, 075406.
- M. Zhang, K. Yin, Z.D. Hood, Z. Bi, C.A. Bridges, S. Dai, Y. Shirley-Meng, M.P. Paranthaman, and M. Chi. In Situ TEM Observation of the Electrochemical Lithiation of N-doped Anatase TiO2 Nanotubes as Anodes for Lithium-ion Batteries. Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 2017, 5, 20651-20657.
- S.P. Adhikari, Z.D. Hood, H. Wang, R. Peng, A. Krall, H. Li, V.W. Chen, K.L. More, Z. Wu, S. Geyer, and A. Lachgar. Enhanced Visible Light Photocatalytic Water Reduction from a g-C3N4/SrTa2O6 Heterojunction. Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, 2017, 217, 448-458.
- K. Yin, M. Zhang, Z.D. Hood, J. Pan, Y. Shirley-Meng, and M. Chi. The Formation of a Self-Assembled Framework during Lithiation of SnS2, Monitored by In Situ Microscopy. Accounts of Chemical Research, 2017, 50, 1513-1520.
- Z.D. Hood, S.P. Adhikari, Y. Li, A.K. Naskar, L. Figueroa-Cosme, Y. Xia, M. Chi, M.W. Wright, A.Lachgar, and M.P. Paranthaman. Novel Acid Catalysts from Waste Tire-Derived Carbon: Application in Waste-to-Biofuel Conversion. ChemistrySelect, 2017, 2, 4975-4982.
- W. Gao, Z.D. Hood, and M. Chi. Interfaces in Heterogeneous Catalysts: Advancing Mechanistic Understanding through Atomic-Scale Measurements. Accounts of Chemical Research, 2017, 50, 787-795.
- R. Peng, L. Liang, Z.D. Hood, A. Boulesbaa, A. Puretzky, A.V. Ievlev, J. Come, O.S. Ovchinnikova, H. Wang, C. Ma, M. Chi, and Z. Wu. In-Plane Heterojunctions Enable Multiphasic Two-Dimensional (2D) MoS2 Nanosheets as Efficient Photocatalysts for Hydrogen Evolution from Water Reduction. ACS Catalysis, 2016, 6, 6723-6729.
- H. Wang, R. Peng, Z.D. Hood, M. Naguib, S.P. Adhikari, and Z. Wu. Titania Composites with 2D Transition Metal Carbides as Photocatalysts for Hydrogen Production under Visible-Light Irradiation. ChemSusChem, 2016, 9, 1490-1497.
- H. Wang, Y. Chen, Z.D. Hood, G. Sahu, A.S. Pandian, J.K. Keum, K. An, and C. Liang. An Air-Stable Na3SbS4 Superionic Conductor Prepared by a Rapid and Economic Synthetic Procedure. Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 2016, 55, 8551-8555.
- H. Wang, Z.D. Hood, Y. Xia, and C. Liang. Fabrication of Ultrathin Solid Electrolyte Membranes of β-Li3PS4 Nanoflakes by Evaporation-Induced Self-Assembly for All-Solid-State Batteries. Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 2016, 4, 8091-8096.
- W.C. West, Z.D. Hood, S. Adhikari, C. Liang, A. Lachgar, M. Motoyama, and Y. Iriyama. Reduction of Charge-Transfer Resistance at the Solid Electrolyte - Electrode Interface by Pulsed Laser Deposition of Films from a Crystalline Li2PO2N Source. Journal of Power Sources, 2016, 312, 116-122.
- Z.D. Hood, H. Wang, A.S. Pandian, J.K. Keum, and C. Liang. Li2OHCl Crystalline Electrolyte for Stable Metallic Lithium Anodes. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2016, 138, 1768-1771.
- Z.D. Hood, C. Kates, M. Kirkham, S. Adhikari, C. Liang, and N. A. W. Holzwarth. Structural and Electrolyte Properties of Li4P2S6. Solid State Ionics, 2016, 284, 61-70.
- Z.D. Hood, H. Wang, Y. Li, A.S. Pandian, M.P. Paranthaman, and C. Liang. The ‘Filler Effect’: A Study of Solid Oxide Fillers with β-Li3PS4 for Lithium Conducting Electrolytes. Solid State Ionics, 2015, 283, 75-80.
- Z.D. Hood, W.S. Chang, L. Miara, J.L.M. Rupp. Bilayer Components for Li Metal Battery and Their Use Therein. WA-202002-007-1-US0 (2020)
- Z.D. Hood, S.P. Adhikari, M.W. Wright, A. Lachgar, Y. Li, A.K. Naskar, and M.P. Paranthaman. Surface Treated Carbon Catalysts Produced from Waste Tires for Fatty Acids to Biofuel Conversion. U.S. Patent No. 9,884,804, 2018.
- Z.D. Hood, S.P. Adhikari, A. Lachgar, A.K. Naskar, Y. Xia, and M.P. Paranthaman. Production of Biofuels with Novel Salts Impregnated Tire Carbon Catalysts. Invention Disclosure # 201603746, DOE S-138,393, US Patent Application filed.
- Z.D. Hood, X. Yang, A.K. Naskar, Y. Xia, and M.P. Paranthaman. Waste Tire-Derived Carbon Supports for Oxygen Reduction Catalysts. Invention Disclosure # 201703874, DOE S-138,532, US Patent Application filed.
- Z.D. Hood, Y. Zhu, L. Miara, J.L.M. Rupp. Solid-state Electrolyte and Method of Manufacture Thereof. U.S. Provisional Patent Application No. 62/713,366, US Patent Application Filed.
- Y. Zhu, Z.D. Hood, L. Miara, J.L.M. Rupp. Solution-Processed Solid-state Electrolyte and Method of Manufacture Thereof. U.S. Provisional Patent Application No. 62/713,428, US Patent Application Filed.