Dr. Zachary Hood was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He is a scientist at the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Argonne National Laboratory working on materials for energy storage and conversion. His current research focuses on the development of solid-state ion conductors for Lithium and Sodium metal batteries. Zachary develops innovative synthetic methods to produce new solid-state materials and leverages a number of characterization techniques to understand their properties and performance from the nano-to-macro scale.
- Post-Doctoral, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Ph.D., Georgia Institute of Technology
- B.S., Wake Forest University
Awards and Honors
- Maria Goeppert Meyer Director’s Fellowship at Argonne National Laboratory, 2019
- Materials Research Society Graduate Student Award (Gold), 2018
- Georgia Tech Chemistry and Biochemistry External Advisory Board Award, 2018
- National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship, 2015
- Georgia Tech – Oak Ridge National Laboratory Fellowship, 2015
- Georgia Tech Presidential Fellowship, 2015
- Wake Forest Research Fellowship, 2013
- Lola G. Duff and William H. Duff College Scholarship Recipient, 2009 – 2013
- Wake Forest College Scholarship, 2009 – 2013
- American Chemical Society
- American Physical Society
- Electrochemical Society
- International Society for Solid State Ionics
- Materials Research Society
- Secretary, CNMS User Executive Committee at ORNL (2018 – present)
- Member, MRS Early Career Professionals Subcommittee (2019 – present)
- Z.D. Hood, H. Wang, A.S. Pandian, R. Peng, K.D. Gilroy, M. Chi, C. Liang, and Y. Xia. Fabrication of Sub-micrometer-thick Solid Electrolyte Membranes of β-Li3PS4 via Tiled Assembly of Nanoscale, Plate-like Building Blocks. Advanced Energy Materials, 2018, 1800014.
- X. Liu, Y.Chen, Z.D. Hood, C. Ma, S. Yu, A. Sharafi, H. Wang, K.An, J. Sakamoto, D.J. Siegel, Y. Cheng, N. Jalarvo, M. Chi. Elucidating the Mobility of H+ and Li+ Ions in (Li6.25-xHxAl0.25)La3Zr2O12 via Correlative Neutron and Electron Spectroscopy. Energy and Environmental Science, 2019, 12, 945-951.
- Z.D. Hood, K. Kubelick, K.D. Gilroy, D. Vanderlaan, X. Yang, M. Yang, M. Chi, S. Emelianov, and Y. Xia. Photothermal Transformation of Au-Ag Nanocages under Pulsed Laser Irradiation. Nanoscale, 2019, 11, 3013-3020.
- Z.D. Hood, M. Chi. Mechanistic Understanding and Strategies to Design Interfaces of Solid Electrolytes: Insights Gained from Transmission Electron Microscopy. Journal of Materials Science, 2019, 15, 10571-10594.
- Q. Zhang, C. Zhang, Z.D. Hood, M. Chi, C. Liang, N.H. Jalarvo, M. Yu, H. Wang. Abnormally Low Activation Energy in Cubic Na3SbS4 Superionic Conductor. Chemistry of Materials, 2020, 32, 2264-2271.
- J.C. Gonzalez‐Rosillo, M. Balaish, Z.D. Hood, N. Nadkarni, D. Fraggedakis, K.J. Kim, K.M. Mullin, R. Pfenninger, M.Z. Bazant, J.L.M. Rupp. Lithium‐Battery Anode Gains Additional Functionality for Neuromorphic Computing through Metal–Insulator Phase Separation. Advanced Materials, 2020, 32, 1907465.
- H. Li, P. Wen, D. Itanze, Z.D. Hood, X. Ma, M. Kim, S.P. Adhikari, C. Lu, C. Dun, M. Chi, Y. Qiu, and S. Geyer. Colloidal Silver Diphosphide (AgP2) Nanocrystals as Low Overpotential Catalysts for CO2 Reduction to Tunable Syngas. Nature Communications, 2019, 10, 1-10.
- Z.D. Hood, X. Yang, Y. Li, A.K. Naskar, M. Chi, M.P. Paranthaman. Conversion of Waste Tire Rubber into High-Value-Added Carbon Supports for Electrocatalysis. Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 2018, 165, H881-H888.
- S.P. Adhikari, Z.D. Hood, V.W. Chen, K.L. More, K. Senevirathne, and A. Lachgar. Visible-light-active g-C3N4/N-doped Sr2Nb2O7 Heterojunctions as Photocatalysts for the Hydrogen Evolution Reaction. Sustainable Energy & Fuels, 2018, 2, 2507-2515.
- J. Howard, Z.D. Hood, N.A.W. Holzwarth. Fundamental Aspects of the Structural and Electrolyte Properties of Li2OHCl from Simulations and Experiment. Physical Review Materials, 2017, 1, 075406.
- L.E. Rush Jr., Z.D. Hood, N.A.W. Holzwarth. Unraveling the Electrolyte Properties of Na3SbS4 through Computation and Experiment. Physical Review Materials, 2017, 1, 075406.
- M. Zhang, K. Yin, Z.D. Hood, Z. Bi, C.A. Bridges, S. Dai, Y. Shirley-Meng, M.P. Paranthaman, and M. Chi. In Situ TEM Observation of the Electrochemical Lithiation of N-doped Anatase TiO2 Nanotubes as Anodes for Lithium-ion Batteries. Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 2017, 5, 20651-20657.
- S.P. Adhikari, Z.D. Hood, H. Wang, R. Peng, A. Krall, H. Li, V.W. Chen, K.L. More, Z. Wu, S. Geyer, and A. Lachgar. Enhanced Visible Light Photocatalytic Water Reduction from a g-C3N4/SrTa2O6 Heterojunction. Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, 2017, 217, 448-458.
- K. Yin, M. Zhang, Z.D. Hood, J. Pan, Y. Shirley-Meng, and M. Chi. The Formation of a Self-Assembled Framework during Lithiation of SnS2, Monitored by In Situ Microscopy. Accounts of Chemical Research, 2017, 50, 1513-1520.
- Z.D. Hood, S.P. Adhikari, Y. Li, A.K. Naskar, L. Figueroa-Cosme, Y. Xia, M. Chi, M.W. Wright, A.Lachgar, and M.P. Paranthaman. Novel Acid Catalysts from Waste Tire-Derived Carbon: Application in Waste-to-Biofuel Conversion. ChemistrySelect, 2017, 2, 4975-4982.
- W. Gao, Z.D. Hood, and M. Chi. Interfaces in Heterogeneous Catalysts: Advancing Mechanistic Understanding through Atomic-Scale Measurements. Accounts of Chemical Research, 2017, 50, 787-795.
- R. Peng, L. Liang, Z.D. Hood, A. Boulesbaa, A. Puretzky, A.V. Ievlev, J. Come, O.S. Ovchinnikova, H. Wang, C. Ma, M. Chi, and Z. Wu. In-Plane Heterojunctions Enable Multiphasic Two-Dimensional (2D) MoS2 Nanosheets as Efficient Photocatalysts for Hydrogen Evolution from Water Reduction. ACS Catalysis, 2016, 6, 6723-6729.
- H. Wang, R. Peng, Z.D. Hood, M. Naguib, S.P. Adhikari, and Z. Wu. Titania Composites with 2D Transition Metal Carbides as Photocatalysts for Hydrogen Production under Visible-Light Irradiation. ChemSusChem, 2016, 9, 1490-1497.
- H. Wang, Y. Chen, Z.D. Hood, G. Sahu, A.S. Pandian, J.K. Keum, K. An, and C. Liang. An Air-Stable Na3SbS4 Superionic Conductor Prepared by a Rapid and Economic Synthetic Procedure. Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 2016, 55, 8551-8555.
- H. Wang, Z.D. Hood, Y. Xia, and C. Liang. Fabrication of Ultrathin Solid Electrolyte Membranes of β-Li3PS4 Nanoflakes by Evaporation-Induced Self-Assembly for All-Solid-State Batteries. Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 2016, 4, 8091-8096.
- W.C. West, Z.D. Hood, S. Adhikari, C. Liang, A. Lachgar, M. Motoyama, and Y. Iriyama. Reduction of Charge-Transfer Resistance at the Solid Electrolyte - Electrode Interface by Pulsed Laser Deposition of Films from a Crystalline Li2PO2N Source. Journal of Power Sources, 2016, 312, 116-122.
- Z.D. Hood, H. Wang, A.S. Pandian, J.K. Keum, and C. Liang. Li2OHCl Crystalline Electrolyte for Stable Metallic Lithium Anodes. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2016, 138, 1768-1771.
- Z.D. Hood, C. Kates, M. Kirkham, S. Adhikari, C. Liang, and N. A. W. Holzwarth. Structural and Electrolyte Properties of Li4P2S6. Solid State Ionics, 2016, 284, 61-70.
- Z.D. Hood, H. Wang, Y. Li, A.S. Pandian, M.P. Paranthaman, and C. Liang. The ‘Filler Effect’: A Study of Solid Oxide Fillers with β-Li3PS4 for Lithium Conducting Electrolytes. Solid State Ionics, 2015, 283, 75-80.
- Z.D. Hood, W.S. Chang, L. Miara, J.L.M. Rupp. Bilayer Components for Li Metal Battery and Their Use Therein. WA-202002-007-1-US0 (2020)
- Z.D. Hood, S.P. Adhikari, M.W. Wright, A. Lachgar, Y. Li, A.K. Naskar, and M.P. Paranthaman. Surface Treated Carbon Catalysts Produced from Waste Tires for Fatty Acids to Biofuel Conversion. U.S. Patent No. 9,884,804, 2018.
- Z.D. Hood, S.P. Adhikari, A. Lachgar, A.K. Naskar, Y. Xia, and M.P. Paranthaman. Production of Biofuels with Novel Salts Impregnated Tire Carbon Catalysts. Invention Disclosure # 201603746, DOE S-138,393, US Patent Application filed.
- Z.D. Hood, X. Yang, A.K. Naskar, Y. Xia, and M.P. Paranthaman. Waste Tire-Derived Carbon Supports for Oxygen Reduction Catalysts. Invention Disclosure # 201703874, DOE S-138,532, US Patent Application filed.
- Z.D. Hood, Y. Zhu, L. Miara, J.L.M. Rupp. Solid-state Electrolyte and Method of Manufacture Thereof. U.S. Provisional Patent Application No. 62/713,366, US Patent Application Filed.
- Y. Zhu, Z.D. Hood, L. Miara, J.L.M. Rupp. Solution-Processed Solid-state Electrolyte and Method of Manufacture Thereof. U.S. Provisional Patent Application No. 62/713,428, US Patent Application Filed.