Clean & Renewable Energy
We have developed onsite infrastructure to provide clean and renewable energy and increase site resilience. In partnership with onsite research and operational programs, we have invested in solar photovoltaic (PV), wind, geothermal, and CHP facilities.
We have a strong record of water conservation and efficiency efforts to reduce our impact on this finite natural resource. Argonne has greatly reduced our reliance on potable water and is taking an integrated approach to achieve our long-term water management goals.
Greenhouse Gas Emissions
At Argonne, it’s as our responsibility to lead by example not only in what we produce, but also in what we reduce. We examine campus activities for opportunities to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions.
We’ve made progressive strides in reducing GHG emissions through numerous emission reduction initiatives, including:
- GHG reclamation that captures, recycles, recharges and reuses sulfur hexafluoride (SF6) from laboratory procedures
- Space management and alternative workplace arrangements to reduce occupied footprint on-site and in-turn minimize energy consumption
- Construction and operation of new Combined Heat and Power Plant
- Site-wide energy efficiency improvement program
- Increase in fleet efficiency and use of low-emission and alternate fuels
- Comprehensive employee commuting emissions reduction program