Argonne’s Materials Engineering Research Facility (MERF) is an integral part of the laboratory’s Manufacturing Science and Engineering program. The MERF’s capabilities include:
- Development of analytical methods and quality control procedures for new material specifications
- Scale-up of newly discovered materials
- Analysis and and refinement of processes for materials synthesis
- Providing kilogram quantities of available material to industry for testing
- Evaluation of emerging manufacturing technologies
The MERF also serves as a user facility that is open to outside organizations, including other national laboratories, universities and industry for process R&D and scale-up of new materials and validation of emerging manufacturing processes. By bridging the gap between small-scale laboratory research and high-volume manufacturing, research at the MERF promotes the development, validation and ultimate commercialization of advanced material chemistries.