John (Jack) Vaughey is an expert in the design, synthesis, and characterization of next generation materials with applications in energy storage. Experience includes cathodes for lithium, silver, calcium, and magnesium-ion systems, new lithium-ion anode materials based on intermetallic and Zintl phases, and Non-Aqueous Organic Redox Flow Batteries for grid storage applications.
- Northwestern University, Evanston, IL. Ph.D. Inorganic Materials Chemistry.
- Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Worcester, MA. B.Sc. in Chemistry
Awards & Honors
- Pacesetter Award (ANL) for the Development of the Intermetallic Anode (2000)
- Outstanding Mentor Award from US Department of Energy, Office of Science (2008)
- Strategic Laboratory Leadership Program, University of Chicago Booth School of Business (2017-18)
- Beyond Lithium-Ion Cathodes (2011-present)
- Co-created and organized the Science effort for JCESR (a DOE Energy Innovation Hub); creator/author Multivalent Chemistry, creator/co-author Non-Aqueous Organic Flow Batteries; Research program design and organization.
- Design and synthesis of multivalent electroactive materials and electrolytes: Mgx[V2O5] * xH2O, Znx[MnO2], Cax[NiFe(CN)6], Mgx[M2O4], Mgx[DMBQ]
- LIB Cathodes (1992-present)
- Multi-electron Cathodes: Synthesis, structure and properties of transition metal phosphates. Demonstrated reversible two electron storage in the novel cathode e-VOPO4.
- Lithium-rich Cathodes Li2MnO3-LiMO2 - a family of high capacity lithium-ion battery cathodes with applications in electric vehicles.
- Ni-rich Cathodes (NMC333, NMC811) - surface chemistry, lithium transport in solids, electrolyte-based degradation mechanisms, ion exchange properties
- Ag-based Primary Cathodes (1999-2006)
- Ag4V2O6F2 (SVOF, w NU) - a high capacity primary cathode for the medical battery field
- AgCuO2 - a high copper oxidation state delafossite-type structure.
- Next Generation Anodes (2009-present)
- Understanding high capacity anode materials based on Li-Si Zintl chemistry concepts
- Synthesis and characterization of bulk silicon compounds, thin films, and silicon Zintl phases. Evaluated electrochemical properties and stability using MAS-NMR, EQCM-D, and various electrochemical methods.
- Creation of a porous All-Inorganic Silicon Electrode based on copper metal binders and a CuxSi interfacial compound.
- Mechanistic studies: utilized X-Ray Tomography to capture the role of porosity and inhomogeneity in composite silicon electrode design.
- Porous Electrode Design (2000-2012)
- Creation of porous and structurally stable 3d Li4Ti5O12 electrodes (w/ NU)
- Creation of a porous All-Inorganic Silicon Electrode based on the use of copper metal binders and a CuxSi interfacial compound
- Cu6Sn5 on electrodeposited porous copper, Cu2Sb on Cu Foam - a family of dense compounds and porous structures that combine high capacity with high rate.
- Grid Storage (2005-2012)
- Established Argonne Grid Storage effort based on redox flow batteries (w A. Jansen).
- Developed the underlying chemical concepts for an organic flow battery electrode. Demonstrated reversible electrochemical activity with quinoxalines as an organic redox flow battery anode material (w F. Brushett)
- Co-created the Non-Aqueous Organic Redox Flow Battery based on demonstrated concepts.
- LIB Intermetallic Anodes (1994-2008)
- Cu2Sb, Cu6Sn5, Mn2Sb, and related systems - a family of high capacity electroactive materials for lithium-ion batteries based on a novel storage mechanism
- Created thin film electrodes of various copper-based intermetallics for medical battery applications.
- Synthesis, Structures & Properties of compounds in the Na-Sn System
- Lithium Metal (2007 - 2011)
- Studied the stability and morphology of lithium metal versus electrolytes and cycling conditions (w C. Lopez, D. Dees).
- Devised a Self-Assembled Monolayer (SAM) approach to protecting lithium metal surfaces using silane-based materials
- Adapted SAM-stabilized lithium metal electrodes to Li-Air cells.
- Liquid Electrolytes (2006-2016)
- Synthesis, 7Li variable temperature NMR, and stability of LIB electrolytes based on ketone-based solvents.
- Creation of high voltage Mg-ion based electrolytes for Beyond-Lithium-ion chemistries based on the Mg(TFSI)2 / glyme system.
- Solid State Electrolytes (2009-2013)
- Created EERE Solid Ceramic Electrolyte Program (w John Newman (UCB))
- (Li,Al)Ti2(PO4)3 (processing, stability), Li7La3Zr2O12 (thin films, doping, thermal expansion)
- Member, Technical Advisory Board, Advanced Materials Research Institute (AMRI), University of New Orleans, New Orleans, LA (2007-present)
- Associate Editor, Materials Research Bulletin, 2011-present
- Editorial Board, Chemistry of Materials, 2011-present
- Scientific Advisory Committee, Annual Conference on Magnesium-ion Batteries, Ulm, Germany (2016-present)
- Electrochemical Society Toyota Young Investigator Award Committee (2017-18)
- Electrochemical Society Battery Division Technology Award, Committee (2017-18)
- The Electrochemical Society, Battery Division, Member-at-Large (2018-pres)
- ARPA-E Panel Review, 2012 - 2015
- NSF Panel Reviewer, 2015-pres
- Organizing Committee, 7th International Symposium on Inorganic Phosphate Materials (2011)
- Co-organizer International Battery Association Conference on Manganese Dioxide (2000)
- Symposium Lead Organizer, Beyond Li-Ion Batteries, 232nd Meeting of the Electrochemical Society, National Harbor, MD (2017)
- Symposium Lead Organizer, Lithium-Ion Batteries and Beyond, 233rd Meeting of the Electrochemical Society, Seattle, WA (2018)
- Argonne National Laboratory Directed Research and Development (LDRD) Committee, Chemical Engineering Division, 2005-2008.
- Chemical Sciences and Engineering Division, Strategic Planning Lead for Interfacial Science, 2018
- Argonne Named Fellowship Advisory Committee, 2018-pres
- American Chemical Society
- The Electrochemical Society
- Neutron Scattering Society of America
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
Publications and Patents
- ~150 Publications covering cathodes (lithium-ion, lithium-rich lithium ion, Mg-ion, medical), anodes (lithium metal, intermetallics, silicon), electrolytes (NASICONs, garnets, Mg salts), and organic flow batteries (materials design)
- ~30 US Patents/Applications on battery, fuel cell, high Tc materials.