John (Jack) Vaughey is an internationally recognized expert in the design, synthesis, and characterization of next generation materials with applications in energy storage. His work includes cathode design and discovery of lithium-ion, silver-ion, calcium-ion, and magnesium-ion systems, lithium-ion cathode recycling and upcycling, new lithium-ion anode materials based on intermetallic, silicon, and Zintl phases. He has over 30 patents including the Non-Aqueous Organic Redox Flow Batteries for grid storage applications (w A. Jansen, F. Brushett).
Received DOE Award for Mentoring (2008), named an American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) Fellow (2018), .
- Northwestern University, Evanston, IL. Ph.D. Inorganic Materials Chemistry.
- Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Worcester, MA. B.Sc. in Chemistry
Awards & Honors
- Pacesetter Award (ANL) for the Development of the Intermetallic Anode (2000)
- Outstanding Mentor Award from US Department of Energy, Office of Science (2008)
- Strategic Laboratory Leadership Program, University of Chicago Booth School of Business (2017-18)
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science (2018)
- Beyond Lithium-Ion Cathodes (2011-present)
- JCESR Office of Science Innovation Hub Science; Research program design and organization.
- Creator/author JCESR Beyond Lithium-Ion Program, Multivalent Chemistry (2011-2018)
- Creator/co-author JCESR Grid Storage Program, Non-Aqueous Organic Flow Batteries (2011-13)
- Co-author/Contributor JCESR Beyond Lithium-Ion Program, Materials Complexity (2018-pres)
- LIB Cathodes (1992-present)
- Multi-electron Cathodes: Discovered reversible two electron storage in the novel cathode e-VOPO4. (1992-4)
- Lithium-rich NMC Cathodes Li2MnO3-LiMO2 - a family of high capacity lithium-ion battery cathodes with applications in electric vehicles (1998-2015)
- Surface stability of Ni-rich NMC Cathodes (NMC622, NMC811) - surface chemistry, lithium transport in solids, and electrolyte-based degradation mechanisms (2015-2019)
- Co-author/Direct Recycling Lead ReCell Lithium-ion cathodes (2018-pres).
- Co-author/Cathode Upcycling Lead ReCell Lithium-Ion cathodes (2018-pres).
- Ag-based Primary Cathodes (1999-2006)
- Ag4V2O6F2 (SVOF, w NU) - a high capacity primary cathode for the medical battery field
- AgCuO2 - a high oxidation state copper-based delafossite structure.
- Next Generation Anodes (2009-present)
- Identified Li-Mg-Si ternary Zintl phases as surface stabilization materials to extend calendar life of Si-based cells.
- Creation of a porous All-Inorganic Silicon Electrode based on metallic copper binders and a CuxSi interfacial compounds
- Porous Electrode Design (2000-2012)
- Creation of porous and structurally stable 3d Li4Ti5O12 electrodes (w/ NU)
- Cu6Sn5 on electrodeposited porous Cu foams as a high capacity anode
- Cu2Sb on Cu Foam - a family of dense compounds and porous structures that combine high capacity with high rate.
- Grid Storage (2005-2012)
- Established Argonne Grid Storage effort based on redox flow batteries (w A. Jansen, F. Brushett).
- Developed the underlying chemical concepts for an organic flow battery electrode. Demonstrated reversible electrochemical activity with quinoxalines as an organic redox flow battery anode material (w A. Jansen,F. Brushett)
- Co-inventor the Non-Aqueous Organic Redox Flow Battery based on demonstrated concepts.
- LIB Intermetallic Anodes (1994-2008)
- Cu2Sb, Cu6Sn5, Mn2Sb, and related systems - a family of high capacity electroactive materials for lithium-ion batteries based on a novel storage mechanism.
- Lithium Metal (2007 - 2011)
- Studied the stability and morphology of lithium metal versus electrolytes and cycling conditions (w C. Lopez, D. Dees).
- Devised a Self-Assembled Monolayer (SAM) approach to protecting lithium metal surfaces using silane-based materials
- Solid State Electrolytes (2009-2013)
- Created EERE Solid Ceramic Electrolyte Program (w John Newman (UCB))
- Identified grain boundary issues for (Li,Al)Ti2(PO4)3 (processing, stability) and Li7La3Zr2O12 (thin films, doping, thermal expansion)
- Determined the role of high temperature Al(III) diffusion in controlling phase transitions in the Li7La3Zr2O12 systems (bulk)
- Associate Editor, Materials Research Bulletin, 2011-present
- Editorial Board, Chemistry of Materials, 2011-present
- Electrochemical Society Toyota Young Investigator Award Committee (2017-18)
- Electrochemical Society Battery Division Technology Award, Committee (2017-18)
- The Electrochemical Society, Battery Division, Member-at-Large (2018-pres)
- The Electrochemical Society, Interdisciplinary Science and Technology Subcommitee, (2019-22)
- Technical Advisory Board, Advanced Materials Research Institute (AMRI), University of New Orleans, New Orleans, LA (2007-present)
- Scientific Advisory Committee, Annual Conference on Magnesium-ion Batteries, Ulm, Germany (2016-present)
- Organizing Committee, 7th International Symposium on Inorganic Phosphate Materials (2011)
- Co-organizer International Battery Association Conference on Manganese Dioxide (2000)
- Symposium Lead Organizer, Beyond Li-Ion Batteries, 232nd Meeting of the Electrochemical Society, National Harbor, MD (2017)
- Symposium Lead Organizer, Lithium-Ion Batteries and Beyond, 233rd Meeting of the Electrochemical Society, Seattle, WA (2018)
- Symposium Lead Organizer, Next Generation Battery Materials, 238th Meeting of the Electrochemical Society, Honolulu, HI, (2020).
- Symposium Lead Organizer, Next Generation Battery Materials, 239th Meeting of the Electrochemical Society, Chicago, IL, (2021)
- Symposium Lead Organizer, Lithium-Ion Battery Recycling and Safety, 241th Meeting of the Electrochemical Society, Vancouver, BC, (2022).
- Argonne National Laboratory Directed Research and Development (LDRD) Committee, Chemical Engineering Division, 2005-2008.
- Chemical Sciences and Engineering Division, Strategic Planning Lead for Interfacial Science, 2018
- Argonne Maria Goeppert Meyer Named Fellowship Advisory Committee, co-chair, 2018-pres
- Argonne Walter Massey Named Fellowship Advisory Committee, co-chair, 2021-pres
Publications and Patents
- ~180 Publications covering cathodes (lithium-ion, lithium-rich lithium ion, Mg-ion, medical), anodes (lithium metal, intermetallics, silicon), electrolytes (NASICONs, garnets, Mg salts), and organic flow batteries (materials design)
- ~30 US Patents on battery, fuel cell, high Tc materials.