My research focuses on using and developing scattering techniques in conjunction with computational tools to characterize nanoscale structure and dynamics in materials, most recently with coherent x-ray diffraction.
I am currently involved in developing hard x-ray Bragg ptychography techniques at the CNM/APS Nanoprobe beamline for imaging nano- and meso-scale structure in complex materials in working environments. I am also involved in the development and implementation of x-ray photon correlation spectroscopy at the Linac Coherent Light Source, where we aim to measure femtosecond dynamics in materials at atomic resolutions – probing time and length scales in materials that could not be accessed experimentally until now.
Y. Liu, P. P. Lopes, W. Cha, R. Harder, J. Maser, E. Maxey, M. J. Highland, N. Markovic, S. O. Hruszkewycz, G. B. Stephenson, H. You, A. Ulvestad, Stability Limits and Defect Dynamics in Ag Nanoparticles Probed by Bragg Coherent Diffractive Imaging, Nano Letters (2017), [article link]
S.O. Hruszkewycz, W. Cha, P. Andrich, C.P. Anderson, A. Ulvestad, R. Harder, P.H. Fuoss, D.D. Awschalom and F.J. Heremans, In situ study of annealing-induced strain relaxation in diamond nanoparticles using Bragg coherent diffraction imaging, APL Materials 5, 026105 (2017), [article link]
A. Ulvestad, M. J. Welland, W. Cha, Y. Liu, J. W. Kim, R. Harder, E. Maxey, J. N. Clark, M. J. Highland, H. You, P. Zapol, S. O. Hruszkewycz and G. B. Stephenson, Three-dimensional Imaging of Dislocation Dynamics During the Hydriding Phase Transformation, Nature Materials, (2017). [article link]
S.O. Hruszkewycz, M. Allain, M.V. Holt, C.E. Murray, J.R. Holt, P.H. Fuoss, V. Chamard, High-resolution three-dimensional structural microscopy by single-angle Bragg ptychography, Nature Materials, 16, 244 (2017), [article link]
W. Cha, A. Ulvestad, M. Allain, V. Chamard, R. Harder, S.J. Leake, J. Maser, P.H. Fuoss, S.O. Hruszkewycz, Three dimensional variable-wavelength x-ray Bragg coherent diffraction imaging, Physical Review Letters, 117, 225501 (2016). [article link]
S.O. Hruszkewycz, Q. Zhang, M.V. Holt, M.J. Highland, P.G. Evans, P.H. Fuoss, Structural Sensitivity of x-ray Bragg projection ptychography to domain patterns in epitaxial thin films, Physical Review A, 94, 043803 (2016). [article link]
W. Cha, W. Liu, R. Harder, R. Xu, P.H. Fuoss, S.O. Hruszkewycz. Utilizing broadband x-rays in a Bragg coherent diffraction imaging experiment, Journal of Sychtrotron Radiation, 23, 1241 (2016). [article link]
A. Ulvestad, A. Tripathi, S.O. Hruszkewycz, W. Cha., S.M. Wild, G.B. Stephenson, P.H. Fuoss, Coherent diffraction imaging of time-evolving samples with improved temporal resolution, Physical Review B, 93, 224432 (2016). [article link]
S.O. Hruszkewycz, M.V. Holt, M. Allain, V. Chamard, S.M. Polvino, C.E. Murray, P.H. Fuoss. Efficient modeling of Bragg coherent x-ray nanobeam diffraction, Optics Letters, 40, 3241 (2015). [article link].
M.V. Holt, S.O. Hruszkewycz, C.E. Murray, J.R. Holt, D.M. Paskiewicz, P.H. Fuoss. Strain imaging of nanoscale semiconductor heterostructures with x-ray Bragg projection ptychography, Physical Review Letters, 112, 165502 (2014). [article link, with supplemental].
S.O. Hruszkewycz, M.V. Holt, J. Maser, C.E. Murray, M.J. Highland, C.M. Folkman, P.H. Fuoss. Coherent Bragg nanodiffraction at the Hard X-ray Nanoprobe beamline, Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A, 372, 20130118 (2014) [article link].
S. Lee, W. Roseker, C. Gutt, B. Fischer, H. Conrad, F. Lehmkeuhler, I. Steinke, D. Zhu, H. Lemke, M. Cammarata, D.M. Fritz, P. Wochner, M. Castro-Colin, S.O. Hruszkewycz, P.H. Fuoss, G.B. Stephenson, G. Gruebel, A. Robert. Single shot speckle and coherence analysis of the hard x-ray free electron laser LCLS, Optics Express, 21, 24647 (2013). [article link].
S.O. Hruszkewycz, M.J. Highland, M.V. Holt, D. Kim, C.M. Folkman, C. Thompson, A. Tripathi, G.B. Stephenson, S. Hong, P.H. Fuoss. Imaging local polarization in ferroelectric thin films by coherent x-ray Bragg projection ptychography, Physical Review Letters, 110, 177601 (2013). [article link].
- S.O. Hruszkewycz, M. Sutton, P. H. Fuoss, B. Adams, S. Rosenkranz, K. F. Ludwig, W. Roseker, D. Fritz, M. Cammarata, D. Zhu, S. H. Lee, H. Lemke, C. Gutt, A. Robert, G. Gruebel, G. B. Stephenson. High contrast x-ray speckle from atomic-scale ordering in liquids and glasses, Physical Review Letters, 109, 185502 (2012). [article link, with supplemental].
- S.O. Hruszkewycz, M. V. Holt, C. E. Murray, J. Bruley, J. Holt, A. Tripathi, O. G. Shpyrko, I. McNulty, M. J. Highland, P. H. Fuoss. Quantitative imaging of lattice distortions in epitaxial semiconductor heterostructures using x-ray Bragg projection ptychography. Nano Letters, 12, (10), 5148, (2012). [article link, with supplemental].
- S.O. Hruszkewycz, C.M. Folkman, M.J. Highland, M.V. Holt, S.H. Baek, S.K. Streiffer, P. Baldo, C.B. Eom, P.H. Fuoss. X-ray nanodiffraction of tilted domains in a poled epitaxial BiFeO3 thin film. Applied Physics Letters, 99, 232903 (2011).
- S.O. Hruszkewycz, M.V. Holt, A. Tripathi, J. Maser, P.H. Fuoss. Framework for three-dimensional coherent diffraction imaging by focused beam x-ray Bragg ptychography. Optics Letters, 36, 2227 (2011). [article link]
- S.O. Hruszkewycz, R. Harder, X. Xiao, P. H. Fuoss. The effect of exit beam phase aberrations on parallel beam coherent x-ray reconstructions. Review of Scientific Instruments, 81, 123706 (2010).
Invited Research Talks
- Materials Science and Technology 2016, Salt Lake City UT, Oct 2016. Opportunities for materials science with new 3D Bragg ptychography methods.
- Coherence 2016, Saint Malo, France, June 2016. Utilizing Fourier projections to enable flexible three dimensional Bragg CDI and Bragg ptychography approaches.
- Integrated Imaging Initiatives Workshop, Argonne IL, Sept 2014. Nanoscale materials imaging with Bragg ptychography.
- Coherence 2014, Evanston IL, Sept 2014. Visualizing lattice structure in thin films with 2D and 3D Bragg ptychography approaches.
- APS Users Meeting 2014, Argonne IL, May 2014. Materials science with coherent Bragg nano-diffraction at the Upgraded APS.
- NSLS-II First Experiments Workshop, Upton NY, August 2013. Bragg projection ptychography imaging of nanostructured ferroelectric thin films at the HXN.
- NSLS/CFN Users Meeting, Upton NY, May 2013. Bragg projection ptychography of nanostructured thin films with nanofocused hard x-rays.
- Ptychography 2013, Munich Germany, May 2013. Hard x-ray Bragg projection ptychography: Mapping nanoscale lattice heterogeneity in crystalline thin films.
- TMS 2013, San Antonio TX, March 2013. Applications of Bragg projection ptychography.
- Real & Reciprocal Space Imaging Workshop, The Royal Society at Chichley Hall, Newport Pagnell UK, February 2013. Bragg projection ptychography of nanostructured thin films.
- Coherence 2012, Fukuoka Japan, June 2012. High contrast x-ray speckle from atomic-scale ordering in liquids and glasses.
- 21st International Conference on X-ray Optics and Microanalysis, Campinas Brazil, Sept 2011. Focused beam Bragg ptychography: A new approach to imaging nanostructures.
- Denver X-ray Conference, Denver CO, July 2010. Scanning probe diffraction microscopy at the CNM/APS Nanoprobe beamline.