The global community is experiencing disasters of increasing complexity, intensity and frequency. Urbanization, rapid population growth, a widening wealth gap, climate change, technology adoption, and the changing nature of conflict all influence the disaster risk landscape and survivor outcomes.
Argonne’s National Preparedness Analytics Center and Emergency and Disaster Analysis Group partner with governments, industry, nonprofits and academia to develop and apply innovative solutions to this problem. We help our sponsors prepare for, mitigate, respond to, and recover from the threats and hazards that pose the greatest risk to the security and resilience of communities around the globe. For more than 30 years, we have supported the emergency management community and government officials to achieve these goals.
Argonne’s National Preparedness Analytics Center and Emergency and Disaster Analysis Group apply the following capabilities in our work:
- Doctrine and guidance development: Our analysts partner with federal sponsors to develop national preparedness doctrine and develop implementation guidance to enable its adoption nationwide.
- Modeling, analysis, and planning support: We deliver integrated planning and incident management expertise to support preparedness, response, and recovery activities.
- Exercise development and support: We apply processes and technologies to test capabilities through exercises, supporting the design, development, conduct, and evaluation of discussion- and operations-based exercises.
- Risk and crisis communications: Our subject matter experts work with emergency managers to enhance the effectiveness of crisis communications by bridging the gaps between public affairs practice and social science.
- Technical assistance and applied research for state and local communities: We deliver specialized subject matter expertise to state, local, tribal, and territorial emergency managers on priority issues such as supply chain resilience, evacuation, dam safety, and community resilience.