Education and Training
- Ph.D. 2005, Materials Science and Engineering, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL
- B.S. 1999, Electrical Engineering, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, IL
Research and Professional Experience
2007–Present, Scientist (Argonne): Staff scientist at the Center for Nanoscale Materials who has developed a research program exploring materials discovery, synthesis, characterization, and processing. We are leading the discovery of new low-dimensional materials, the exploration of novel synthesis and characterization, and tailoring material properties.
Ten Highlight Publications: 2 Science, 4 Nature Journals, and over 1500 citations combined for these 10
- A. J. Mannix, X.- F. Zhou, B. Kiraly, J. D. Wood, D. Alducin, B. D. Myers, X. Liu, B. L. Fisher, U. Santiago, J. R. Guest, M. J. Yacaman, A. Ponce, A. R. Oganov, M. C. Hersam, N. P. Guisinger, “Synthesis of borophenes, anisotropic, two-dimensional boron polymorphs.” Science 350, 1513 (2015).
- R. M. Jacobberger, B. Kiraly, M. Fortin-Deschenes, P. L. Levesque, K. M . McElhinny, G. J. Brady, R. R. Delgado, S. S. Roy, A. Mannix, M. G. Lagally, P. G. Evans, P. Desjardins, R. Martel, M. C. Hersam, N. P. Guisinger, M. S. Arnold, “Direct oriented growth of armchair graphene nanoribbons on germanium.” Nat. Comm. 6, 8006 (2015).
- A. J. Mannix, B. Kiraly, B. L. Fisher, M. C. Hersam, N. P. Guisinger, “Silicon growth at the two-dimensional limit on Ag(111).” ACS Nano 8, 7538-7547 (2014).
- B. Kiraly, E. V. Iski, A. J. Mannix, B. L. Fisher, M. C. Hersam, and N. P. Guisinger, “Solid source growth and atomic-scale characterization of graphene on Ag(111).” Nat. Comm. 4, 2804 (2013).
- T.-Y. Chien, L. F. Kourkoutis, J. Chakhalian, B. Gray, M. Kareev, N. P. Guisinger, D. A. Muller, and J. W. Freeland, “Visualizing short-range charge transfer at the interfaces between ferromagnetic and superconducting oxides,” Nat. Comm. 4, 2336 (2013).
- Y. Qinkai, L. A. Jauregui, W. Wu, R. Colby, J. Tian, Z. Su, H. Cao, Z. Liu, D. Pandey, D. Wei, T. F. Chung, P. Peng, N. P. Guisinger, E. A. Stach, J. Bao, S.-S. Pei, and Y. P. Chen, “Control and characterization of individual grains and grain boundaries in graphene grown by chemical vapour deposition,” Nat. Materials, 10, 443 (2011).
- L. Gao, J. R. Guest, and N. P. Guisinger, “Epitaxial graphene on Cu(111),” Nano Lett., 10, 3512 (2010).
- P. Sessi, J. R. Guest, M. Bode, and N. P. Guisinger, “Patterning graphene at the nanometer scale via hydrogen desorption,” Nano Lett., 9, 4343 (2009).
- N. P. Guisinger, G. M. Rutter, J. N. Crain, P. N. First, and J. A. Stroscio, “Exposure of epitaxial graphene grown on 6H-SiC(0001) to atomic hydrogen,” Nano Lett., 9, 1462 (2009).
- G. M. Rutter, J. N. Crain, N. P. Guisinger, T. Li, P. N. First, and J. A. Stroscio, “Interference and localization in epitaxial graphene,” Science, 317, 219 (2007).