M.Sc. Physics (Int.), Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, India
Ph.D., Physics, University of Minnesota
We seek to discover and understand novel electronic and magnetic properties that emerge in epitaxial thin films and heterostructures of various crystalline materials. We work with correlated complex oxides, and more recently also with topological semimetals. We synthesize our samples using molecular beam epitaxy and study them using a broad range of techniques that probe their charge and spin transport properties and their magnetic and electronic structure.
My research is supported by the US Department of Energy, Office of Science, Basic Energy Sciences. We are also part of the Center for Advancement of Topological Semimetals (Energy Frontier Research Center), and the Center for Predictive Simulation of Functional Materials.
Opportunities for postdoctoral, graduate, undergraduate researchers and visitors
We are always looking for motivated researchers with a background in condensed matter physics/materials science/electrical engineering who may be interested in working with us. As of November 2021, we have three postdoctoral openings in the areas of correlated oxide interfaces, topological semimetals and THz plasmonics. I am also keen to sponsor applicants for the Maria Goeppert Mayer Fellowship at Argonne.
We support graduate students towards their doctoral dissertation. I am affiliated with UChicago CASE and will advise Ph.D. students at the Pritzger School of Molecular Engineering (PME), University of Chicago. If you are a current or prospective graduate student at PME and are interested in our area of research, please do get in touch. Students from other universities are also welcome, through suitable arrangements made with faculty at their home institution. Please take a look at the various ways that graduate students can work with us, and contact me if you wish to learn more.
- “Two-dimensional superconductivity and anisotropic transport at KTaO3 (111) interfaces”, Changjiang Liu, Xi Yan, Dafei Jin, Yang Ma, Haw-Wen Hsiao, Yulin Lin, Terence M Bretz-Sullivan, Xianjing Zhou, John Pearson, Brandon Fisher, J Samuel Jiang, Wei Han, Jian-Min Zuo, Jianguo Wen, Dillon D Fong, Jirong Sun, Hua Zhou, Anand Bhattacharya, Science 371, 716 (2021). link (see arXiv:2004.07416 for related paper)
- “Voltage control of magnon spin currents in antiferromagnetic Cr2O3”, Changjiang Liu, Yongming Luo, Deshun Hong, Steven S-L Zhang, Brandon Fisher, John E Pearson, J Samuel Jiang, Axel Hoffmann, Anand Bhattacharya, Science Advances 7, eabg1669 (2021). link
- “Observation of an antiferromagnetic quantum critical point in high purity LaNiO3″, Changjiang Liu, Vincent F. C. Humbert, Terence M. Bretz-Sullivan, Gensheng Wang, Deshun Hong, Friederike Wrobel, Jianjie Zhang, Jason D. Hoffman, John E. Pearson, J. Samuel Jiang, Clarence Chang, Alexey Suslov, Nadya Mason, MR Norman, Anand Bhattacharya, Nature Communications 11, 1402 (2020). link
- “Probing short-range magnetic order in a geometrically frustrated magnet by means of the spin Seebeck effect”, C. Liu, S.M. Wu, J. E. Pearson, J.S. Jiang, N. d’Ambrumenil, A. Bhattacharya, Phys. Rev. B (Rapid Comm.) 98, 060415 (2018). link
- “Unconventional slowing down of electronic and structural dynamics in photoexcited charge-ordered La1/3Sr2/3FeO3.” Yi Zhu, Jason Hoffman, Clare E. Rowland, Hyowon Park, Donald A. Walko, John W. Freeland, Philip J. Ryan, Richard D. Schaller, Anand Bhattacharya, and Haidan Wen. Nature Communications 9, 1799 (2018). link
- “Oscillatory Non-collinear Magnetism Induced by Interfacial Charge Transfer in Metallic Oxide Superlattices.” Jason Hoffman, B. J. Kirby, J. Kwon, J. W. Freeland, I. Martin, O. G. Heinonen, P. Steadman, Hua Zhou, Christian M. Schlepütz, Suzanne G. E. te Velthius, Jian-Min Zuo, Anand Bhattacharya, Phys. Rev. X 6, 041038 (2016). link
- “Spatially inhomogeneous electron gas deep in the extreme quantum limit of strontium titanate”, Anand Bhattacharya, Brian Skinner, Guru Khalsa, Alexey V. Suslov, Nature Communications 7, 12974 (2016). link
- “Antiferromagnetic spin Seebeck effect.” Stephen M. Wu, Wei Zhang, Amit KC, Pavel Borisov, John E. Pearson, J. Samuel Jiang, David Lederman, Axel Hoffmann, and Anand Bhattacharya. Phys. Rev. Lett. 116, 097204 (2016). link
- “Paramagnetic spin Seebeck effect”, S.M. Wu, J.E. Pearson, A. Bhattacharya, Phys. Rev. Lett. 114, 186602 (2015). link
- “Magnetic Oxide Heterostructures”, A. Bhattacharya and S.J. May, Annual Review of Materials Research 44: 5.1 – 5.26 (2014). link
- “Non-volatile ferroelastic switching of the Verwey transition and resistivity of epitaxial Fe3O4/PMN-PT (011)”, Ming Liu, J. Hoffman, J. Wang, J. Zhang, B. Nelson-Cheeseman, A. Bhattacharya, Scientific Reports 3, Article No. 1876 (2013). link
- “Delta Doping of Ferromagnetism in Antiferromagnetic Manganite Superlattices”, T.S. Santos, B.J. Kirby, S. Kumar, S.J. May, J.A. Borchers, B.B. Maranville, J. Zarestky, S. G. E. te Velthuis, J. van den Brink, and A. Bhattacharya, Phys. Rev. Lett. 107, 167202 (2011). link
- “Quantifying octahedral rotations in strained perovskite oxide films”, S. J. May, J.-W. Kim, J. M. Rondinelli, E. Karapetrova, N. A. Spaldin, A. Bhattacharya and P.J. Ryan, Phys. Rev. B 82, 014110 (2010). link
- “Enhanced ordering temperatures in antiferromagnetic manganite superlattices”, S. J. May, P. J. Ryan, J. L. Robertson, J.-W. Kim, T. S. Santos, S. G. E. te Velthuis, E. Karapetrova, J. L. Zarestky, J. N. Eckstein, S. D. Bader, and A. Bhattacharya, Nature Materials 8, 892 (2009). link
- “The metal-insulator transition and its relation to magnetic structure in (LaMnO3)2n/(SrMnO3)n superlattices”. A. Bhattacharya, S. J. May, S. G. E. te Velthuis, M. Warusawithana, X. Zhai, A. B. Shah, J.-M. Zuo, M. R. Fitzsimmons, S. D. Bader, J. N. Eckstein, Phys. Rev. Lett. 100, 257203 (2008). link
A more complete list is found here.
- Discovery of two-dimensional superconductivity at KTaO3 interfaces
- Electrons slow down at critical moments
- Magnetism with a twist in La0.67Sr0.33MnO3/LaNiO3 superlattices
- Electrons puddle under high magnetic fields
- Generating spin currents from a paramagnet
- Tailoring bond lengths with electrostatics in artificial crystals
Current Graduate Students
Eugene Ark (jointly supervised with Prof. Vidya Madhavan, UIUC)
Steve May (Faculty, Materials Science and Engineering, Drexel University)
Tiffany Santos (Director, Western Digital)
Brittany Nelson-Cheeseman (Faculty, Materials Science and Engineering, University of St. Thomas)
Jason Hoffman (Research Associate, Department of Physics, Harvard University)
Ming Liu (Faculty, Electrical Engineering, Xi’an Jiaotong University, China)
Stephen Wu (Faculty, Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Rochester)
Friederike Wrobel (Process Engineer, Intel)
Terence Bretz-Sullivan (Staff Scientist, Sandia)
Naween Anand (Engineer, Intel)