Dr. Daniel P. Abraham is well known for his expertise in the area of lithium batteries. At Argonne he leads the effort to identify performance degradation mechanisms in lithium ion cells and develop new chemistries that enhance cell performance, calendar life, and safety. His interests range from the discovery and development of electrode and electrolyte materials for sustainable and environmentally friendly batteries to recycling existing lithium-ion cells to recover non-renewable components.
Dr. Abraham’s previous research was on the safe storage of nuclear waste arising from efforts to recycle spent nuclear fuel. He also has considerable expertise in the structural characterization and surface analysis of materials, alloy synthesis, microstructure examination, and corrosion testing.
- Ph.D., Metallurgical Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1993
- M.S., Metallurgical Engineering, University of Nevada-Reno, 1988
- B.Tech., Metallurgical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay, India, 1985
Awards, Honors, and Memberships
- DOE Vehicle Technologies Office Team Award (2020).
- Pinnacle of Education Award, University of Chicago (2015).
- Outstanding Postdoctoral Supervisor Award, Argonne National Laboratory (2013).
- Award, Art of Science contest, Argonne National Laboratory (2013) & (2012).
- Listed in Argonne Experts Guide for expertise in various subject areas (since 2010).
- Mentor of the Year Award, U.S. DOE-Office of Science (2010).
- Pacesetter Award, Argonne National Laboratory (1999).
Career Activities and Highlights
- Author of 185+ published articles in peer-reviewed journals (h-index: 73, >15,470 citations).
- 350+ technical presentations in various settings, including 130+ invited lectures.
- Expert Reviewer for various national and international projects including proposals from the Canadian Foundation for Innovation, Israeli Ministry of Science Technology and Space, Netherlands Technology Foundation, Norwegian Research Council, Swedish Energy Agency, Swedish Research Council, Swiss National Foundation, and U.S. Department of Energy (Office of Basic Sciences and Office of Vehicle Technologies).
- Reviewer for 20+ peer-reviewed journals in various areas including Electrochemistry, Materials Science and Engineering, Corrosion, Surface Science, and Nuclear Technology.
- Advisory Board, The Battery Show Conference (2014 – Present).
- Faculty Opponent, Ph.D. Thesis Examination at KTH University, Sweden (2021).
- Faculty Opponent, Ph.D. Thesis Examination, Chalmers University, Sweden (2019).
- Faculty Opponent, Ph.D. Thesis Examination, Uppsala University, Sweden (2013).
- Member of The Electrochemical Society and International Society for Electrochemistry.
- Mentor and research guide of 75+ undergraduate students, graduate students, postdoctoral associates and junior professionals from countries around the world.
- Examiner for Ph.D. theses for universities from the USA and other nations
- Successful collaborations with researchers from academia, national laboratories, and industry from the U.S. and other nations.
- Community outreach on behalf of Argonne with presentations to local schools, local libraries, various professional organizations and interviews with the news media (e.g., BBC, Washington Post, NPR, Forbes, etc.).