Edward Hoffman is a principal nuclear engineer in the Nuclear Science and Engineering Division of Argonne National Laboratory. His research has spanned a broad range of nuclear fuel cycle, advanced reactor design and analysis, and reactor physics related areas. Current research is focused on transition to potential advanced nuclear energy systems. He led a multilab team studying transition, cost and economic analysis and currently leads a multilab team developing and improving the DoE Systems Analysis integration’s cost analysis capabilities, and development of a small long-lived sodium-cooled fast reactor. Ed currently serves on the NEA Expert Group on Uranium Mining and Economic Development: Impacts on Local and National Economies and has also served on OECD/NEA/NSC/WPFC Task Force on Homogeneous versus Heterogeneous Recycling of Minor Actinides in Fast Reactors and the NEA Ad Hoc Expert Group on Electricity Generating Costs (EGC).
- Ph.D in Nuclear Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2002
- M.S. in Nuclear Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 1995
- M.S. in Health Physics, Georgia Institute of Technology, 1995
- B.S. in Nuclear Engineering, The Pennsylvania State University, 1993
- K. Biegel, F. Ganda, E. Hoffman, J. Hansen, and A. Cuadra, “Cost Drivers for Construction of DOE Large-Scale Nuclear Facilities,” ANL/NSE-19/23, Argonne National Laboratory, 2019.
- F. Ganda, E. Hoffman, T. A. Taiwo, T. K. Kim, and J. Hansen, “Report on the ACCERT Cost Algorithms Tool,” ANL/NSE-19/10, Argonne National Laboratory, 2019.
- E. Hoffman (ANL), B. Feng (ANL), R. Hays (INL), A. Worrall (ORNL), E. Sunny (ORNL), J. Peterson (ORNL), “Report on Transition Analyses to U/Pu Continuous Recycle in Fast and Thermal Reactors,” Argonne National Laboratory, FCRD- FCO-2016-000500, July 29, 2016.
- E. Hoffman (ANL), B. Dixon (INL), F. Ganda (ANL), J. Hansen (INL), “Economics of Fuel Cycle Deployment – Approach & Methodology,” Argonne National Laboratory, FCRD- FCO-2015-000014, September 1, 2015.
- E. Hoffman (ANL), N. Brown (BNL), B. Carlsen (INL), B. Feng (ANL), R. Hays (INL), G. Raitses (BNL), N. Stauff (ANL), E. Sunny (ORNL), and A. Worrall (ORNL), “Draft – Report on Transition to an Alternative Uranium-Based Fuel Cycle – Choices, Timing, and Costs,” Argonne National Laboratory, FCRD- FCO-2015-000287, July 31, 2015.
- X. Chen, A. Kotlyarevsky, A. Kumiega, J. Terry, B. Wu, S. Goldberg, and E. Hoffman, “Small Modular Nuclear Reactors: Parametric Modeling of Integrated Reactor Vessel Manufacturing Within a Factory Environment: Volume 2, Detailed Analysis,” Illinois Institute of Technology, 2013.
- F. Ganda, E. A. Hoffman, and K. Williams, “Nuclear Energy System Evaluation and Screening—Levelized Cost of Electricity at Equilibrium,” FCRD-FCO-2013-000196, Idaho National Laboratory, June 30, 2013.
- B. Dixon, K. Williams, J. Blink, J. Carter, E. Danko, F. Ganda, T.J. Harrison, E. Hoffman, E. Schneider, S. Sheetz, and T. Wood, “Advanced Fuel Cycle Cost Basis (2012 Addendum),” FCRD-FUEL-2012-000099, Idaho National Laboratory, February 15, 2013 (lead author for preface and methodology section and the fast reactor cost basis module).
- A. Moisseytsev, E. Hoffman, and C. Grandy, “Selection of Core Outlet Heat Transfer Temperature and Impacts on Fast Reactor Economics,” Nuclear Technology, 173, 251 (2011).
- T.A. Taiwo, S.E. Bays, A.M. Yacout, E.A. Hoffman, M. Todosow, T.K. Kim, and M. Salvatores, “Impacts of Heterogeneous Recycle in Fast Reactors on Overall Fuel Cycle,” Journal of Nuclear Science and Technology, 48 No. 4, 472 (2011).
- E.A. Hoffman, “Preliminary Cost Estimate for the Small Modular Fast Reactor by Application of Economic Modeling Working Group Methodology,” Argonne National Laboratory, Preliminary Draft, ANL-GenIV-108, 2008.
- A. Moisseytsev, E. Hoffman, and C. Grandy, “Selection of Core Outlet Heat Transfer Temperature and Impacts on Fast Reactor Economics,” Nuclear Technology, Vol. 173, Mar. 2011, pp 251-269.
- E.A. Hoffman and T.A. Taiwo, “Fast Reactor Transmutation Performance and Conversion Ratio Effects,” PHYSOR-2010, Advances in Reactor Physics to Power the Nuclear Renaissance, Pittsburgh, PA, 2010.
- E. Hoffman, T. Taiwo, and R. Hill, “Heterogeneous Recycle of Transuranic Fuels in Fast Reactors,” PHYSOR-2008, Nuclear Power: A Sustainable Resource, Interlaken, Switzerland, 2008.
- E.A. Hoffman, W.S. Yang, and R.N. Hill, “Preliminary Core Design Studies for the Advanced Burner Reactor over a Wide Range of Conversion Ratios,” Argonne National Laboratory, ANL-AFCI-177, 2006.
- E.A. Hoffman, “Mixed-Oxide with Enriched Uranium Fuels in LWRs,” ANL-AFCI-164 (2006).
- E.A. Hoffman, “Estimated Cost for Low Conversion Ratio Burners,” ANL-AFCI-118 (2004).