Dr. Kalyan Kumaran possesses a strong record of accomplishments in both R&D and management. He has worked extensively in optimizing and tuning numerical algorithms on parallel platforms. He performed extensive hardware and proﬁling analysis of the SPEC benchmark CPU2000.
He was a key developer of the CPU benchmark suite, SPEC CPU2006, where he was project leader for 15 benchmark candidate codes. He also led the efforts in the development of SPEC MPI2007 and SPEC OMP2001, the ﬁrst industry standard application benchmarks in MPI and OpenMP. Moreover, at Silicon Graphics, Kalyan managed a performance team that created several world records in industry-standard benchmarks, including top scores on the SGI Altix system at NASA Ames (52 TF) and STREAM Triad (1 TB/s).
He has held several leadership positions in performance engineering and for a decade assumed responsibility both as a team leader and manager of performance benchmarking projects.
Currently, as the ALCF Manager of Performance Engineering and Data Analytics, Kalyan is responsible for deﬁning and building applications and performance engineering services for the ALCF. He leads an application services team in evaluating application performance, makes recommendations for algorithmic and implementation tuning strategies, and supervises the implementation of those recommendations
- B.Tech (Honors), Indian Institute of Technology, 1988
- M.S., Iowa State University, 1990
- Ph.D., Iowa State University, 1994
Awards, Honors and Memberships
- SGI Systems Engineer of the Year, 2000.
- SPEC – SPECtacular Contribution Awards, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005.
- Recognized by SGI’s Chief Technology Ofﬁcer for contributions to engineering, Dec. 2003, Dec. 2004.
- Member, SPEC Board of Directors, since 2003.
- Chair, SPEC High-Performance Group, since 2003.