Dr. M. Ross Alexander is an Assistant Operation Research Analyst in the Decision and Infrastructure Sciences Division at Argonne National Laboratory. His background is as an ecologist with specialties in terrestrial biosphere-atmosphere relationships, time series analysis, and linear and non-linear hierarchical mixed models. His previous research focused on how trees work in concert with one other, weather, and climate to affect ecosystem resilience and functioning. He has a B.A. from Hanover College in Hanover, Indiana, an M.S. from Indiana State University in Terre Haute, Indiana, and holds a Ph.D. from the University of Arizona in Tucson, AZ. Dr. Alexander is a Scientist at Large at the University of Chicago’s Consortium for Advanced Science and Engineering (CASE).
- Ph.D., School of Natural Resources and the Environment, Laboratory of Tree-Ring Research, University of Arizona, 2017
- M.S. Earth and Quaternary Sciences, Indiana State University, 2012
- B.A. Biology and Chemistry, Hanover College, 2010
- Teets, A., Moore, D. J. P., Alexander, M. R., Blanken, P. D., Bohrer, G., Burns, S. P., et al. 2022. Coupling of tree growth and photosynthetic carbon uptake across six North American forests. Journal of Geophysical Research: Biogeosciences, 127(4), e2021JG006690.
- Margaret E K Evans, R Justin DeRose, Stefan Klesse, Martin P Girardin, Kelly A Heilman, M Ross Alexander, André Arsenault, Flurin Babst, Mathieu Bouchard, Sean M P Cahoon, Elizabeth M Campbell, Michael Dietze, Louis Duchesne, David C Frank, Courtney L Giebink, Armando Gómez-Guerrero, Genaro Gutiérrez García, Edward H Hogg, Juha Metsaranta, Clémentine Ols, Shelly A Rayback, Anya Reid, Martin Ricker, Paul G Schaberg, John D Shaw, Patrick F Sullivan, Sergio Armando Villela GaytÁn, 2022. Adding Tree Rings to North America’s National Forest Inventories: An Essential Tool to Guide Drawdown of Atmospheric CO2, BioScience, 72(3), Pages 233–246.
- Anderson-Teixeira, K. V. Herrmann, C.R. Rollinson, B. Gonzalez, E. Gonzalez-Akre, N. Pederson, M.R. Alexander, A.D. Allen, R. Alfaro Sanchez, T. Awada, J. Baltzer, P. Baker, J. Birch, P. Cherubini, S. Davies, C. Dow, R. Helcoski, J. Kaspar, J. Lutz, E. Margolis, J. Maxwell, S. McMahon, C. Piponiot, S. Russo, P. Samonil, A. Sniderhan, A. Tepley, I. Vasickova, M. Vlam, P. Zuidema. 2022 Joint effects of climate, tree size, and year on annual tree growth derived from tree-ring records of ten globally distributed forests. Global Change Biology 28(1), p. 245 - 266.
- Rollinson, C.R., A. Finley, M.R. Alexander, S. Banerjee, K. Dixon Hamil, L.E. Koenig, D. H. Locke, M. Peterson, M.W. Tingley, K. Wheeler, C. Youngflesh, E.F. Zipkin. 2021. Working across space and time: nonstationarity in ecological research and application. Frontiers in Ecology and The Environment 19 (1), 66-72.
- Rollinson, C.R., M.R. Alexander, A. Dye, D.J.P. Moore, N. Pederson, V. Trouet. 2021. Climate sensitivity of understory trees differs from overstory trees in temperate mesic forests. Ecology 102(3), e03264.
Selected Argonne Reports
- Alexander, M.R., I. Hyde, C. Burdi, B. Smith, J. Bergerson, M. Riddle, C. Freeman, J. Hutchison. 2021 Internet Access Index: Measuring the Availability and Household Adoption of High-speed Internet. Argonne National Laboratory.