Sasan Bakhtiari is a Senior Electrical Engineer with the Nuclear Science and Engineering (NSE) Division at Argonne. He has been involved for over twenty five years with applied research in the areas of electromagnetic (EM) guided-wave and radiating structures, induction sensor technology, signal processing and analytical/numerical modeling. Dr. Bakhtiari has carried out theoretical and experimental work on microwave and eddy current nondestructive evaluation (NDE) techniques, active/passive radar remote sensing, and modern signal processing and data analysis methods. He has designed and implemented various non-contact EM sensors, instrumentation, and software for on-line monitoring and in situ inspection applications. Since joining Argonne, he has participated in a number of projects associated with employment of advanced sensor technologies for industrial, scientific, biomedical, and national security applications. He has acted as the task leader and the technical point of contact for programs sponsored by the U.S. NRC, DOE, NASA, EPRI, and private industry. Dr. Bakhtiari is the author/co-author of more than 150 journal articles, conference proceedings, technical reports, and chapter contributions. He is the recipient of two R&D 100 Awards and is the inventor/co-inventor of several patents related to EM sensor technology.
- Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, Colorado State University
- M.S., Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Kansas
- B.S., Electrical and Computer Engineering, Illinois Institute of Technology
Awards, Honors, Memberships and Professional Activities
- Associate Editor of IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation & Measurement.
- Senior Member of IEEE.
- Top 70 Most Productive Associate Editor and Reviewer– Awarded by IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation & Measurement (TIM), 2020.
- Outstanding Reviewer – Awarded by IEEE-TIM, 2013.
- Reviewer for Scientific Reports-Nature Research, IEEE-MTT, IEEE- TIM, ICONE-ASME, and Materials Evaluation journal.
- National Academy of Engineering (NAE) of the National Academies–one of the 100 engineers nationwide selected to participate in the U.S. FOE, 2008.
- R&D 100 Awards, selected by R&D Magazine, 1996 and 2007.
- ASNT Honorary M.E.I. Faculty Member, 1996.
- Pacesetter Award, Argonne National Laboratory, 1996.
- Outstanding Paper Award by the American Society for Nondestructive Testing, 1995.
- Honored Researcher Award, Colorado State University Research Foundation, 1991-92.
- S. Bakhtiari, T. Elmer, C. B. Bahn, Z. Zeng, S. Majumdar, “Assessments on Eddy Current Detection of Cracking Near Volumetric Indications in Steam Generator Tubes,” NUREG/CR–7291, ANL–18/41, U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Washington, DC, 2022.
- T. Fang, J. Saniie, S. Bakhtiari, A. Heifetz, “Frequency Shift Baseline Removal for Improved Flow Measurement using Microwave Cavity Resonator,” accepted at 2022 IEEE International Conference on Electro-Information Conference (EIT2022).
- X. Zhang, J. Saniie, S. Bakhtiari, A. Heifetz, “Compression of Pulsed Infrared Thermography Data with Unsupervised Learning for Nondestructive Evaluation of Additively Manufactured Metals,” IEEE Access 10, 9094 – 9107 (2022).
- A. Heifetz, V. Ankel, D. Shribak, S. Bakhtiari, “Microwave Resonant Cavity-Based Flow Sensor for Advanced Reactor High-Temperature Fluids,” ANS Annual Meeting Embedded Conference 12th Nuclear Plant Instrumentation, Control and Human-Machine Interface Technologies (NPIC-HMIT2021) (2021).
- A. Heifetz, D. Shribak, S. Bakhtiari, I.S. Aronson, A. Bentivegna, “Qualification of 3D Printed Mortar with Electrical Conductivity Measurements,” IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement 70, 1-8 (2021).
- A. Heifetz, D. Shribak, X. Zhang, J. Saniie, Z.L. Fisher, T. Liu, J.G. Sun, T. Elmer, S. Bakhtiari, W. Cleary, “Thermal Tomography 3D Imaging of Additively Manufactured Metallic Structures,” AIP Advances 10(10), 105318 (2020).
- A. Heifetz, M. Strow, Y. Liu, P. Bevington, P. Zapol, S. Bakhtiari, A. Bentivegna, “Monitoring of dielectric permittivity in accelerated alkali-silica reaction concrete with microwave backscattering,” Materials and Structures 53(5), 1-11 (2020).
- A. Heifetz, D. Shribak, X. Huang, B. Wang, J. Saniie, J. Young, S. Bakhtiari, R. Vilim, “Transmission of Images with Ultrasonic Elastic Shear Waves on a Metallic Pipe using Amplitude Shift Keying Protocol,” IEEE Transactions in Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics and Frequency Control 67(6), 1192-1200 (2020).
- A. Heifetz, M. Strow, Y. Liu, P. Bevington, P. Zapol, S. Bakhtiari, A. Bentivegna, “Monitoring of Dielectric Permittivity in Accelerated Alkali-Silica Reaction Concrete with Microwave Backscattering,” Materials and Structures 53(5), 1-11 (2020).
- S. Bakhtiari, H-T Chien, A. Heifetz and T. W. Elmer, “Nondestructive Testing Research and Development Efforts at Argonne National Laboratory–An Overview,” Materials Evaluation, Volume 76, Issue 7, July 2018.
- S. Bakhtiari, T. Gonnot, T. Elmer, H-T Chien, D. Engel, E. Koehl and A. Heifetz, “Evaluation of Microwave Cavity Gas Sensor for In-Vessel Monitoring of Dry Cask Storage Systems,” AIP Conference Proceedings 1949, 110004 (2018).
- X. Huang, J. Saniie, S. Bakhtiari and A. Heifetz, “Applying EMAT for Ultrasonic Communication Through Steel Plates and Pipes,” 2018 IEEE International Conference on Electro/Information Technology (EIT), 2018, pp. 0379-0383, doi: 10.1109/EIT.2018.8500148.
- S. Bakhtiari, T. W. Elmer, N. M. Cox, N. Gopalsami, A. C. Raptis, S. Liao, I. Mikhelson, and A. V. Sahakian, “Compact Millimeter-Wave Sensor for Remote Monitoring of Vital Signs,” IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 61, No. 3, pp. 830-841, March 2012.
- I. V. Mikhelson, P. Lee, S. Bakhtiari, T. W. Elmer, A. K. Katsaggelos, and Alan V. Sahakian, “Noncontact Millimeter-Wave Real-Time Detection and Tracking of Heart Rate on an Ambulatory Subject,” IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine, Vol. 16, No. 5, pp. 927 – 934, Sept. 2012.
- S. Liao, T. Elmer, S. Bakhtiari, N. Gopalsami, N. Cox, J. Wiencek, and A. C. Raptis, “Standoff Through-the-Wall Sensing at Ka Band,” Feature article, Journal of Materials Evaluation, Vol. 70, No. 10, pp. 1136-1145, Oct. 2012.
- S. Liao, N. Gopalsami, S. Bakhtiari, T. Elmer, and A. C. Raptis, “Interferometric Millimeter Wave and THz Wave Doppler Radar,” ANL-IN-13-011, U.S. Patent No. 9,103,904 (2015).
- S. Bakhtiari, N. Gopalsami, T. W. Elmer, and A. C. Raptis, “Millimeter Wave Sensor for Far-Field Standoff Vibrometry,” ANL-IN-08-041, U.S. Patent No. 8,686,362 (2014).
- N. Gopalsami, S. Bakhtiari, A. C. Raptis, and T. W. Elmer, “Passive millimeter wave spectrometer for remote detection of chemical plumes,” U.S. Patent No. 7,888,645 (2011).
- S. Bakhtiari, T. W. Elmer, and A. C. Raptis, “Data Analysis Tool for Eddy Current Testing,” ANL-SF-10-006 (2010).
- N. Gopalsami, S. Bakhtiari, A. C. Raptis, and T. W. Elmer, “Passive Millimeter Wave Spectrometer for Remote Detection of Chemical Plumes,” U.S. Patent No. 7,495,218 (2009).
- S. Bakhtiari, N. Gopalsami, and A. C. Raptis, “Millimeter Wave Sensor for On-Line Inspection of Thin Sheet Dielectrics,” U.S. Patent No. 5,886,534 (1999).
- R. Zoughi and S. Bakhtiari, “Microwave Thickness Measurement and Apparatus,” U.S. Patent No. 6,005,397 (1999).
- N. Gopalsami, S. Bakhtiari, A. C. Raptis, and S. L. Dieckman, “Millimeter Wave Sensor For Monitoring Effluents,” U.S. Patent No. 5,468,964 (1995).
- R. Zoughi and S. Bakhtiari, “Microwave Steel Belt Location Sensor for Tires,” U.S. Patent No. 5,216,372 (1993).