Sasan Bakhtiari is a Senior Electrical Engineer with the Nuclear Engineering Division at Argonne. He has over twenty years with applied research in the areas of electromagnetic (EM) guided-wave and radiating structures, induction sensor technology, signal processing and analytical/numerical modeling. He has carried out theoretical and experimental work on microwave and eddy current nondestructive evaluation (NDE) techniques, active/passive radar remote sensing, and modern signal processing and data analysis methods. He has designed and implemented various non-contact EM sensors, instrumentation, and software for on-line monitoring and inspection applications. Since joining Argonne, he has participated in a number of projects associated with employment of advanced sensor technologies for industrial, scientific and biomedical applications.
- Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, Colorado State University
- M.S., Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Kansas
- B.S., Electrical and Computer Engineering, Illinois Institute of Technology
Awards, Honors and Memberships
- IEEE-TIM Outstanding Reviewer – Awarded by IEEE Instrumentation and Measurement Society for outstanding service to IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement (TIM) and recognition as one of Transactions Outstanding Reviewers of 2013.
- National Academy of Engineering (NAE) of the National Academies–one of the 100 engineers nationwide selected to participate in the U.S. FOE, 2008.
- Two R&D 100 Awards, selected by R&D Magazine, 1996 and 2007.
- ASNT Honorary M.E.I. Faculty Member, 1996.
- Pacesetter Award, Argonne National Laboratory, 1996.
- Outstanding Paper Award by the American Society for Nondestructive Testing, 1995.
- Honored Researcher Award, Colorado State University Research Foundation, 1991-92.
Selected Professional Activities
Reviewer – IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques (MTT), IEEE transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement (TIM), International Conference on Nuclear Engineering (ICONE)-ASME, Nuclear Engineering and Design magazine, and Materials Evaluation journal.
Publications and Patents
- Microwave Steel Belt Location Sensor for Tires, U.S. Patent No. 5,216,372 (filed International), R. Zoughi and S. Bakhtiari, 1993.
- Millimeter Wave Sensor For Monitoring Effluents, U.S. Patent No. 5,468,964, N. Gopalsami, S. Bakhtiari, A. C. Raptis, and S. L. Dieckman, 1995.
- Microwave Thickness Measurement and Apparatus, U.S. Patent No. 6,005,397, R. Zoughi and S. Bakhtiari, 1999.
- Millimeter Wave Sensor for On-Line Inspection of Thin Sheet Dielectrics, U.S. Patent No. 5,886,534, S. Bakhtiari, N. Gopalsami, and A. C. Raptis, 1999.
- Passive Millimeter Wave Spectrometer for Remote Detection of Chemical Plumes, U.S. Patent No. 7,495,218, N. Gopalsami, S. Bakhtiari, A. C. Raptis, and T. W. Elmer, 2009.
- Millimeter Wave Sensor for Far-Field Standoff Vibrometry, ANL-IN-08-041, U.S. APP. No. 12/770,438, S. Bakhtiari, N. Gopalsami, T. W. Elmer, and A. C. Raptis, Pending.
- Passive Millimeter Wave Spectrometer for Remote Detection of Chemical Plumes, U.S. Patent No. 7495218, N. Gopalsami, S. Bakhtiari, A. C. Raptis, and T. W. Elmer, 2011.