Lab-provided benefits that help you balance work and life include onsite child care, credit union, flexible work schedules, generous leave and vacation programs, and much more. A wide variety of social clubs at Argonne promote fellowship and diversity. You can work at Argonne and also have a life of interest and fulfillment.
Here are just some of the ways that Argonne helps you maintain your balance:
Flexible Work Options
- Alternate work schedules
- Telecommuting as your job allows
- Leave and Time Off
Health and Fitness
Parental and Family Support
- Adoption assistance
- On-site childcare
- Dependent care flexible spending account that allows you to contribute up to $5,000 pre-tax dollars per calendar year to cover the cost of child or elder daycare.
- Parental leave and school visitation leave
- Fifty percent dependent tuition remission for dependent children of regular, full-time Argonne employees who are enrolled as undergraduate students at the University of Chicago
- Nursing/Lactation Rooms
Personal and Professional Growth
- Unpaid entrepreneurial leave that enables the pursuit of entrepreneurial activities using laboratory intellectual property
- Unpaid sabbatical leave that enables the pursuit of outside professionals interests or goals
- Employee Resource Groups
- Argonne Leadership Institute
- Dual Career Support
Argonne is a member of the Greater Chicago Midwest-Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (GCM-HERC). Membership provides a direct link with multiple employers and universities in the Chicago region, in addition to career development resources. GCM-HERC’s Dual Career Office assists dual-career couples identify opportunities to best meet their needs as a family.
“I have good work-life balance. I spend my workday devoted to my work, and when I go home, I’m able to have a life outside work. I used to play soccer, so I’m looking to join a women’s soccer team in the Chicago suburbs.” – Emily Wolters, Nuclear Engineer