Ben is an experimental nuclear-structure physicist. His main areas of interest are the single-particle structure of nuclei and its connection to the rate of decay of neutrinoless double-beta decay candidates, the evolution of trends in nuclear excitations with neutron excess, and weak-binding phenomena in nuclei. He carries out experiments at various laboratories around the world, leading several research programs. Ben has a keen interest in nuclear instrumentation, including novel charged-particle spectrometers of which he is currently leading an initiative to build one at the Facility for Rare Isotope Beams at Michigan State University. Ben joined the Physics Division in 2013.
- The University of Manchester, MPhys (Hons), Physics, 2000 – 2004
- The University of Manchester, PhD, Experimental nuclear physics, 2004 – 2007
- Member of the American Physical Society, USA
- The SOLARIS White Paper (2018)
- Effect of finite binding on the apparent spin-orbit splitting in nuclei
B. P. Kay, C. R. Hoffman, and A. O. Macchiavelli. Phys. Rev. Lett. 119, 182502 (2017) [arXiv]
- High-j neutron excitations outside 136Xe
R. Talwar, B. P. Kay, S. Adachi et al. Phys. Rev. C 96, 024310 (2017) [arXiv]
- Rearrangement of valence neutrons in the neutrinoless double-β decay of 136Xe
S. V. Szwec, B. P. Kay, T. E. Cocolios et al. Phys. Rev. C 94, 054314 (2016) [arXiv]
- Change of nuclear configurations in the neutrinoless double-β decay of 130Te → 130Xe and 136Xe → 136Ba.
J. P. Entwisle, B. P. Kay, A. Tamii et al. Phys. ReV. C 93, 064312 (2016) [arXiv]
- Neutron s states in loosely bound nuclei
C. R. Hoffman, B. P. Kay, and J. P. Schiffer. Phys. Rev. C. 89, 061305® (2014) [arXiv]
- Quenching of Cross Sections in Nucleon Transfer Reactions
B. P. Kay, J. P. Schiffer, and S. J. Freeman. Phys. Rev. Lett. 111, 042502 (2013) [arXiv]
- Test of Sum Rules in Nucleon Transfer Reactions
J. P. Schiffer, C. R. Hoffman, B. P. Kay et al. Phys. Rev. Lett. 108, 022501 (2012)
- Single-neutron energies outside 136Xe
B. P. Kay, J. P. Schiffer, S. J. Freeman et al. Phys. Rev. C 84, 024325 (2011)
- Pair correlations in the neutrinoless double-β decay candidate 130Te.
T. Bloxham, B. P. Kay, J. P. Schiffer et al. Phys. Rev. C 82, 027308 (2010)