• Ph.D., Material Science, CNRS, University of Bordeaux 1, France, July 17th, 1989.
• Master’s Degree, Chemistry, University of Bordeaux 1, France, June 25th, 1986.
February 1998-Present.Argonne distinguished Fellow and leader of the Advanced Lithium Battery Technology team at Argonne National Laboratory responsible for directing the research and development of advanced materials and battery systems for HEV, PHEV, EV, satellite, military and medical applications.
2015~ present Deputy Director of US/China Clean Energy Research Center
2016~ present Adjunct Professor at Stanford University
2017~present Adjunct professor at Dammam University (Dammam, Saudi Arabia)
2020~ present Joint Professor at the University of Chicago, Pritzker School of Molecular Engineering
2011~ 2015 Visiting Distinguished Professor at Hanyang University, Seoul, South Korea
2012~ 2014 Adjunct Distinguished Professor at King Abdul-Aziz University, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
2016~ 2017 Adjunct Professor at Hong Kong University of Science & Technology
April 1994-February 1998. Manager, Fundamental Technology Laboratories, Corporate R&D Center, Japan Storage Battery Company, Ltd., Kyoto, Japan.
November 1992-March 1994. Project Leader, Osaka National Research Institute, Agency of Industrial Science and Technology, Ministry of Trade and Industry, Osaka, Japan.
November 1990-October 1992. Research Associate, Department of Industrial Chemistry, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan.
January 1990-October 1990. Research Associate, Laboratory of Physico-Chemistry and Physics of Materials, Louven Catholic University, Louven, Belgium,
Honors and Awards
- Global Energy Price (2019)
- Six R&D 100 award (2005, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2014, 2019)
- Electrochemical Society battery Research award (2019)
- International coalition for energy storage and innovation award, 2019
- Elsevier Energy Storage Material Award, Shenzhen, October 2018
- Argonne Commercialization Excellence, Lifetime achievement award, 2018
- Argonne Commercialization Excellence, Delivering Impact award, 2018
- NAATBatt life achievement award March 2017
- US Department of Energy outstanding scientist award, 2013
- Electrochemical Society battery Technology award (2010)
- International Battery Association Award (2010)
- Pacesetter Award, Argonne National Laboratory (1999, 2009)
- US Federal Laboratory Award for Excellence in Technology Transfer (2009)
- University of Chicago Board of Governors Distinguished performance Award (2008)
- Illinois Federal Laboratory Award for Excellence in Technology Transfer (2008)
- Scientific American Top Worldwide 50 Research Leader Award (2003)
- Japan Storage Battery Association, First Prize Awards (1995, 1996)
- Japanese Science and Technology Agency Award (1992)
Career Activities & Highlights
- Most cited scientist in the world in the field of battery technology to (http://sciencewatch.com/ana/fea/08novdecFea/)
- Hold the largest number of papers in the world on battery related topics from 2000 to 2018 (science watch)
- Member of the board of the Committee on Fuel Economy of light duty vehicles of the U.S. National Research Consul at the US Academy of Sciences
- Electrochemical society Fellow.
- President of the International meeting on lithium battery Association, (IMLB) (2012~)
- Chairmen of the International Lithium Battery for Automotive Association (2009~)
- Associate Editor of Nano Energy Journal
- Founder and chair of the first Fluorinated Materials & Energy Conversion International workshop, Bordeaux, France, March 2010
- Chairmen of the review committee of Japan/European Union research Grant initiative for energy storage
Peer reviewed papers in international Journals: 625 (including 29 Nature & Nature sister journal articles) (Citation: >85000, Google H-index 158 as of May 2023)
Patent & Patent Applications and invention: 154 (110 granted, 44 Pending)
Invited talks and plenary talks: over 268