Lois Curfman McInnes is a senior computational scientist. Her research focuses on numerical algorithms and software for the parallel solution of PDE-based applications and related optimization problems using the PETSc/TAO library. Lois co-leads work on the Extreme-scale Scientific Software Development Kit (xSDK) and the IDEAS software productivity project, dedicated to engaging scientific software teams to identify and adopt practices that improve productivity and sustainability.
McInnes received a Ph.D. in Applied Mathematics from the University of Virginia in 1993. She was named a SIAM Fellow in 2017. She won the 2015 SIAM/ACM Prize in Computational Science and Engineering (with collaborators). She won an Ernest Orlando Lawrence Award in 2011 for outstanding contributions in research and development supporting the Department of Energy and its missions. She served as chair (2015-16) and program director (2013-14) of the SIAM Activity Group on Computational Science and Engineering; she is co-chair of the 2018 SIAM Annual Meeting and serves on the SIAM Education Committee and the editorial board of SIAM News.
- Parallel numerical software tools and interoperablity issues
- Numerical methods for nonlinear PDEs
- Scientific applications involving PDEs, including fusion and accelerator modeling
- Multiphysics algorithms and software
Awards, Honors & Memberships
- 2011 Ernest Orlando Lawrence Award for outstanding contributions in research and development supporting the Department of Energy and its missions.
- Recipient of a R&D 100 Award in 2009 for PETSc
- DOE Distinguished Postdoctoral Fellow, 1993-1996
- D. E. Keyes, L. C. McInnes, C. Woodward, et al., Multiphysics Simulations: Challenges and Opportunities, special issue of the International Journal of High Performance Computing Applications, 27(1), 4--83, Feb 2013.
- B. Smith, L.C. McInnes, E. Constantinescu, M. Adams, S. Balay, J. Brown, M. Knepley, H. Zhang, “PETSc’s Software Strategy for the Design Space of Composable Extreme-Scale Solvers,” DOE Exascale Research Conference, Portland, OR, April 16–18, 2012.
- S. Balay, J. Brown, K. Buschelman, W. Gropp, D. Kaushik, M. Knepley, L. C. McInnes, B. Smith, and H. Zhang, “PETSc Users Manual,” MCS Technical Report, ANL-95-11, Revision 3.2, Sept 2011.
- W. Gropp, D. Keyes, L. C. McInnes and M. Tidriri, “Globalized Newton-Krylov-Schwarz Algorithms and Software for Parallel Implicit CFD,” International Journal of High Performance Computing Applications Summer 2000 14: 102-136.
- S. Balay, W. D. Gropp, L. C. McInnes and B. F. Smith, “Efficient Management of Parallelism in Object Oriented Numerical Software Libraries.” In Modern Software Tools in Scientific Computing, E. Arge, A. M. Bruaset and H. P. Langtangen, editors, Birkhauser Press, pp. 163-202, 1997.