May 11-14, 2015 "Celebrating the International Year of Light"
The annual joint users meetings of the Center for Nanoscale Materials and the co-located Advanced Photon Source was held at Argonne National Laboratory. Anyone is welcome to register for these meetings which attract more than 400 registrants and 50+ vendor booths for myriad activities including: technical workshops that highlight, promote, and stimulate user science; plenary sessions; poster sessions; a vendor expo; social events; and CNM short courses. A Best Student Poster Award competition is held for students who benefit from accessing the CNM.
CNM Plenary Session
Monday, May 11, 2015, Bldg 402, Rm E1100/1200
- 1:30 pm Keynote Address: Vlad Shalaev, Purdue University
The Robert and Anne Burnett Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
"Next Generation Nanophotonics Platform with New Materials"
- 2:15 pm Teri Odom, Northwestern University
Professor of Materials Science and Engineering
Board of Lady Managers of the Columbian Exposition Professor of Chemistry
Executive Editor, ACS Photonics
"Room-Temperature Lasing from Nanoparticle Arrays”
- 2:45 pm Heinrich Jaeger, University of Chicago
William J. Friedman and Alicia Townsend Professor of Physics
"Self-Assembled Nanoparticle Monolayers and Membranes"
- 3:15 pm Break
- 3:35 pm Seungbum Hong, Update from the CNM Users Executive Committee
- 3:45 pm Alex Martinson, Argonne National Laboratory
Materials Science Division
"Photoexcited Carrier Dynamics in Cu2S Thin Films for Earth-Abundanct Photovoltaics"
- 4:15 pm Jonathan J. Foley, IV, Argonne National Laboratory
Nanoscience & Technology Division
"Controlling Light with Plasmons Across Metal Interfaces"
- 4:45 pm Invited Student Talk: Vuk Brajuskovic, Northwestern University,
"Origins of Anisotropy in the Magnetic Structure of Artificial Spin Ice Lattices"
- 5:00 pm Adjourn
CNM Workshop: Nanophotonic Structures, Surfaces, and Composites for Radiative Control
- Co-organizers: Steve Smith (Nano SE SDSMT; Il Woong Jung (CNM); Zhe Fei (CNM)
CNM Workshop: Exploring the Flatland of 2D Materials for Tribological Manipulation
- Co-organizers: Ani Sumant (CNM), Ali Erdimir (Argonne ES), Diana Berman (CNM)
Joint CNM/APS Workshop: In situ multimodal imaging of energy materials: Experimental and Computational Challenges
- Co-organizers: Yuzi Liu (CNM), Yang Ren (APS), Maria Chan (CNM), Xianghui Xiao (APS)
CNM Short Courses
Thursday, May 14, 2015
$40 fee in addition to meeting registration fee
- Course A: Introduction to Transmission, Scanning Transmission, and Analytical Electron Microscopy (Instructor: Nestor Zaluzec)
- Course B: Introduction to Confocal Raman Microscopy (Instructor: David Gosztola)
- Course C: Using the Hard X-Ray Nanoprobe (Instructor: Martin Holt)
- Course D: Atomic Layer Deposition: Theory and Novel Applications (Instructors: Leo Ocola, Jeff Elam, Alex Martinson, Angel Yanguas-Gil)
CNM Best Student Poster Prizes
- Guohua Wei (Northwestern University) "Integrated Photonics with Single Layer MoS2"
- Tanim Humayun (Univ. of Illinois at Chicago) "ZnO Functionalization of Surface Pre-treated Multi-walled Carbon Nanotubes for Methane Sensing"