During Computer Science Education Week, December 3-9, 2018, more than 50 computer scientists will visit Chicagoland schools and assist teachers in celebrating the Worldwide Hour of Code initiative. Hour of Code is a “one-hour introduction to computer science, designed to demystify ‘code’, to show that anybody can learn the basics and to broaden participation in the field of computer science.” Scientists attending schools will:
- Give short presentations on their career path and research/work at a National Laboratory
- Interact with students one-on-one while they are participating in Hour of Code activities
Join students all over the world for an Hour of Code, no prior experience is necessary and all ages are welcome! Is there a computer scientist hidden in you?
- 1 in 3 students in US schools have tried an Hour of Code activity
- Over 100M students have participated at 77,000 Hour of Code events worldwide
- More girls have tried computer science than in the last 70 years