Students work on technologies or instrumentation projects or major research facilities supporting DOE’s mission. This work is supported through the DOE’s Office of Science, Workforce Development for Teachers and Students (WDTS).
Internship opportunities are available during the following terms: Summer (10 weeks), Fall (15 weeks), and Spring (15 weeks). (Each DOE laboratory offers different technical internship opportunities; not all DOE laboratories participate in the CCI program.) A typical experience starts with students spending the first week with an Argonne supervising staff member devising a research strategy and attending mandatory safety classes. For the next few weeks, the supervisor will provide considerable program assistance and guidance. Subsequently, the student will be expected to complete a pre and post-survey, make a poster presentation, and complete and submit a 6 – 8-page project report. In addition to their research activities, participants attend a series of seminars and tours dealing with current topics in science and engineering. Students also participate in career professional development workshops.
NOTE: The laboratory is tentatively planning for student programs to be fully onsite during Summer 2022. However, a student’s workplace may shift to a hybrid or virtual status contingent upon local COVID infection rates. Student candidates will be notified of changes in the lab’s operational status at the time of offer and/or during their appointment.
- Currently enrolled at a U.S. community college or accredited two-year college and have completed at least one semester. You must also have completed at least 6 credit hours in science, mathematics, engineering, or technology course areas, and completed at least 12 credit hours towards a degree.
- Submit two (2) letters of recommendation.
- Undergraduate cumulative minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- 18 years or older at the time the internship begins.
- U.S. citizen or Legal Permanent Resident at the time of applying.
- Pass a screening drug test.
- Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne’s Legal Department.
During the appointment period, participants receive a stipend of $650 per week (effective summer 2022) and on-site housing. Dormitory type lodging is available on-site at no direct cost to the student. Students choosing to live in the on-site student housing are required to have a valid major credit card (MasterCard, Visa, or American Express only) when checking in. This will be used for the security deposit. In addition, your card will also be charged the first week of each month for the prior month’s charges. You will be reimbursed in your pay check.
Please be advised that the Guest House, which is managed by Sodexo, is on a different billing cycle than Argonne. By the time students receive their last paycheck, students will have received full reimbursement for their housing. For the use of debit cards, students may receive authorizations during their stay. These authorizations are usually removed 7 business days after your check-out depending on your financial institution.
Travel will be paid only for students whose permanent and school addresses are more than fifty miles away from Argonne. Travel expenses are reimbursed consistent with the terms detailed in the laboratory acceptance letter. Travel reimbursement is based on a round-trip from the traveler’s trip origin (trip origin to Argonne and Argonne back to trip origin).
Transportation expenses will be reimbursed on the basis of the most direct route. Travel by a private automobile will be reimbursed at the current government rate up to a maximum of $500.00 round-trip, not to exceed the cost of round-trip coach airfare. No per diem or lodging costs will be reimbursed while en route. We will calculate distance according to MapQuest. Students will receive their reimbursement check three to four weeks after their arrival. If students are traveling to Argonne via air, Argonne must make the travel arrangements. Students will not be reimbursed if they make their own flight arrangements.