- Must be currently enrolled full-time at an accredited institution and have completed at least one year of schooling.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation emailed to email@example.com.
- Undergraduate cumulative minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- 18 years or older at the time the internship begins.
- U.S. citizen or Legal Permanent Resident at the time of applying.
- Satisfactory background check.
- Pass a screening drug test.
Science Writing Requirements
In addition to the above application requirements, the following requirements are for students applying for a science writing internship:
- Must be currently enrolled full-time at an accredited institution and have completed at least sophomore year schooling with demonstrated competence in science writing.
- Must have a demonstrated writing ability and an interest in science.
- Email three (3) writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. Writing samples weigh most heavily in the selection process. We recommend stories and articles about science, written for a public audience. This can include samples written specifically for this application or for classes; or writing published in newspapers, magazines, or blogs (including student newspapers). Less recommended are write-ups for experiments, as these typically are written for a scientific audience in the passive voice.
Students receive a salary and, under certain conditions, travel reimbursement. Salaries are competitive and are based upon the field of study and the academic year status of the student. If travel reimbursement is approved, it will be paid only for students whose permanent and school addresses are more than fifty miles away from Argonne. Travel expenses are reimbursed consistent with the terms detailed in the laboratory acceptance letter. Travel reimbursement is based on a round-trip from the traveler’s trip origin (trip origin to Argonne and Argonne back to trip origin).
Transportation expenses will be reimbursed on the basis of the most direct route. Travel by a private automobile will be reimbursed at the current government rate, not to exceed the cost of round-trip coach airfare. No per diem or lodging costs will be reimbursed while en route. We will calculate distance according to MapQuest. If the student is traveling to Argonne via air, Argonne must make the travel arrangements. Students will not be reimbursed if they make their own flight arrangements.
During the appointment period, on-site housing is available. Students choosing to live in the on-site student housing should contact the Argonne Guest House at (630) 739-6000 to make a reservation as well as obtain cost information. Students are responsible for securing and funding their own housing.
Summer 2019 internship application deadline is March 1, 2019. The deadline for science writing applications is March 1, 2019.