The objectives of Argonne National Laboratory’s Joint Appointment Program are to:
- Promote research and collaboration in areas aligned with the scientific and technical priorities of Argonne and the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE)
- Facilitate the building of world-class research programs by maximizing the unique intellectual and physical resources of both Argonne and partner universities
- Establish a network and an exchange of knowledge to enhance the intellectual vitality and research impact of Argonne and partner universities
- Increase synergies between DOE and academic programs
A joint appointment may comprise an Argonne employee to a university, or a university employee to Argonne. Joint appointments are reviewed at least every two years.
The applicant must be an employee of Argonne or a university. Joint appointments cannot be used for students, employees of for-profit corporations, or individuals who are not collaborating as employees of a U.S. university.
The appointee remains an employee of the home institution while contributing to the mission of both institutions. Joint appointments may not be requested for the purpose of establishing a named affiliation, site or computer access, or to fulfill a temporary employment need where other existing Argonne policies and contractual agreements are applicable.
A joint appointment should be research-based in nature, and appointments must provide a demonstrable value to the scientific and technical priorities of both Argonne and the university. A joint appointment may be requested for the reasons below and is subject to pre-approval and periodic review by the respective Argonne division director and associate laboratory director:
- Establish a professional network and a productive relationship with the partner institution
- Participation on committees (including academic advisory) and/or workshops
- Gain access to unique resources at the host institution
- Supervise/mentor graduate students
- Research-based collaboration in anticipation of participating on a research project
- Participation on a research project as a principal investigator (PI) or a co-PI (requires effort reimbursement agreement)
Universities with which Argonne is currently contracted for joint appointments
- George Mason University
- Illinois Institute of Technology
- Northern Arizona University
- Northern Illinois University
- Northwestern University
- Pennsylvania State University
- University of Chicago
- University of Illinois
- University of Michigan
- University of Notre Dame
- Michigan Technological University
- University of Oregon
- University of Wisconsin-Madison
Questions related to eligibility for a joint appointment may be directed to the Joint Appointment Program Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.