Training Course (TC) Syllabus
- Background information
- Regulatory aspects of decommissioning
- Responsibilities and functions of team members
- Planning of a decommissioning project
- Management of decommissioning waste
- Financial planning
- Long-term integrity of structures and systems
- Safety and radiation protection aspects
- Management of a decommissioning project
- Completion of a decommissioning project
- Decommissioning of nuclear laboratories and other facilities
- Case studies on decommissioning
- Evolving technologies for decommissioning
- Technical visit to a site undergoing decommissioning (as work schedules and security permit)
Each participant will receive copies of valuable resources for use in understanding the decommissioning process and will also be given a select reading list of other helpful information sources.
Registration, Payment, Cancellation
- Registration Fee: we have two types of registration fees depending on how you will attend the TC.
- The Registration Fee for a Trainee is $1,695 USD
- The Registration Fee for an Exhibitor is $100 USD
- If you register both as a Trainee and an Exhibitor the Registration Fee is $1,795 USD
- The TC registration fee includes one electronic copy of the TC materials. Namely: the TC registration fee includes either 1-USB stick or 1-CD containing the main training course materials. Requests for a set of training course materials in paper copy form can be provided at a cost of $200 USD.
Please check Policies and Practices to find out what is and what is not included in the TC Registration Fee.
- Please see Policies and Practices for Registration, Payment and other Terms related to the Training Course.
- Detailed information on Cancellation Policies is also available.
- Questions? Check the Frequently Asked Questions. If your question is not among those listed, contact the Training Course Director:
Lawrence E. Boing
Director, Decommissioning TC
Argonne National Laboratory
Phone: +1 630-252-6729
Fax: +1 630-252-7577
TC Reference Documents
Students will receive the lecture notes in a binder to follow alone in during the training. Reference CDs and/or access to a website for the same will also be provided to attendees for their use and further reading on selected topics.
Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
Our TC is useful to obtain the required continuing education credits for on-going education requirements that the various professional certifications and sanctioning bodies require - such as the PMP, CHP, PE and others.
Upon completion of your course, you will receive a certificate of completion. The American Academy of Health Physics has granted 16 credits for this course. We will be happy to assist attendees in providing to them whatever documentation they need to request receiving CEUs for this training. Any questions should be addressed to the Course Director, Larry Boing.
Can’t make your scheduled course?
If you are unable to attend your course, simply send a substitute. Instructions on how to proceed in this case can be found in Cancellation Policies.
Casual business attire.
- Generally speaking we try to bracket the daily training period 8:30 AM - 4:00 PM for the days activities - however - on some days we do run longer than that. Typically on the last day we are finished by 3:00 PM at the latest unless we have a site tour planned.
- Lunch is on your own.
How to Apply for Attending/Exhibiting at the Training Course
Applicants to attend or to exhibit at the training course are encouraged to register electronically. If this is not feasible, please contact us directly and we will fax you the registration form or we can also register you over the telephone.
Other offerings of this training course are planned for the current calendar year. These may be held either at the Argonne National Laboratory Site near Chicago or at other locations. Please check this web-site often to keep up-to-date on next planned offerings of the training course. If you are unable to attend this upcoming offering and would like to be informed by mail of future courses, please either e-mail L. Boing including your name, address, phone number and fax number.
When booking a hotel, please mention that you are an Argonne Decommissioning TC Attendee.
We also recommend you stay at the TC Hotel for your convenience. By staying at the TC Hotel you can profit from lower rates available for TC attendees and you will increase the opportunity for interaction and socialization with other attendees and colleagues.
In case courses are held at sites other than Argonne we will post basic information on the registration site, such as the TC hotel address, toll-free reservation number, fax number, e-mail and a link to the hotel website where you can find out more about the latest room rates.
For TCs held at the Argonne Site we advise you to contact us about hotels in the area and special Argonne offerings.
You can find information on getting to the host site from the Chicago airports at the NE web site.
Special Requirements to Access Argonne Site
Argonne National Laboratory is a controlled-access facility: please make sure you read the Requirements to Access Argonne Site if you are planning to attend an on-site TC course.